She tried to recall the reasons of her resolve apart from the hideous past Brandan and she shared, drama - yes, that was easy. No need to ponder over little things, Brandan was a good actor - a bloody charmer - well experienced ladies man. Too many points.

"Surprise us." Emma offered a tight lipped smile to the waitress whose expression totally changed into disapproval while looking at Emma but managed to somehow grin at her.

Serving them the most immaculate tasting wine available the waitress finally left them alone to Emma's relief.

The amusement in Brandan's expression still hadn't disappeared completely.

Enjoying the wine calmly for a while both of them basked in to silence while using it to lessen the tension between them. Emma decided to speak finally while at the same time regretting for breaking the silence as it was surprisingly comfortable when they weren't talking... just sitting across each other doing nothing at all. This thought again seemed dangerous to Emma.

"The kids are going to start school next week." Emma said.

His lips formed into a surprised smile. "Really!"

Casting his eyes downwards Brandan sighed, shadow of the earlier smile still lingering on his face.

"I have missed out too much, I wish I could have found you guys sooner." His brows knitted thoughtfully, a few creases appeared on his forehead. Emma felt like to reach out and smoothen those creases on his forhead with her fingers gently, she had to fist her hands on her lap upder the table to prevent them from doing such illogical things.

"I would tell them after that - after their admission." Emma said as she looked at him guardedly.

She prepared to snap in defense at Brandan if he opposed her in this. But just like all the other shocks this evening had in store for her - Emma was yet once again surprised.

"I understand, it's going to be difficult for them. Though I wish and crave with all my heart to be in their lives not as some other guy but as their father, I truly do understand Emma."

Emma was speechless as she stared at Brandan, she didn't expect him to get along with her decision but here he was - claiming that he understood. Did he really understand?

Brandan continued, "Starting school... it's going to be a new phase in their lives which they need to step into without any other pressure. Me appearing suddenly as their father is going to be a big bomb itself."

After a pause he finished thoughtfully, "I'll wait."

Silence stretched between them during the food was served and they without a word, too much busy with their own thoughts. The stunts of the attention seeker waitress on a Brandan - who was now quite disturbed at the advances made Emma to snap out of her surprised state and silence.

Nibbling on a piece of her roasted chicken Emma glanced at Brandan fiddling with his fork. That's when she remembered that Brandan wanted to talk to her about something important, so far she had told the important thing. What about him?

"I thought you wanted to say something important." Emma reminded him.

"Yeah..." Brandan looked unsure of if he wanted to say it or not. Emma wasn't oblivious to the lingering tension in the air.

After a moment of hesitation Brandan finally spoke, "When do you plan to tell our families back home?"

Emma loosened the grip on her fork which dropped with a clattering sound on her plate, from shocked to troubled - her expression in the end constricted into sheer nothingness.