Chapter Five

"Okay," Pollen brought her paws together. "Let's get this study session started."

After the debacle of Chloe's mother walking out on her again, Pollen insisted she get some food and relax for a bit. The two watched some cute cartoons- which Pollen was happily enraptured by- and sat together in pleasant silence.

That hadn't stopped Pollen from plotting her next move, however.

Floating over Chloe's tablet, which Pollen had asked her to hook up to the TV, she picked up the tablet pen and began drawing a simple figure. Adding a blonde ponytail, Pollen wrote 'You' over the top of the drawing.

"Let's start with the basics. Emotions!" Pollen wrote out the word. "This is the thing that motivates people the most. Someone spills water on you? You're angry. You are given a nice gift? Happy. So on and so forth."

Chloe rolled her eyes. Even she knew this stuff. What was the point of this?

Tapping the pen on the drawing of Chloe, Pollen asked, "Now, what makes you a bad person?"

"What!" Chloe interrupted, "I am not a bad person!"

Pollen put her paws up. "I'm sorry, that was out of line. Let me try again: What makes people not like you?"

Chloe huffed. "I'm better than them and they know it."

Instead of writing what Chloe said, Pollen wrote 'you see yourself as above others.'

"Ugh, is this just an excuse to make fun of me? I'm so out." Chloe made to stand up but was stopped by Pollen.

"Patience, Chloe. Right now, you're doing well. You working with me is a good start.." Pollen beamed at Chloe and she had to look away, lest the warmth blossoming in her chest got any bigger.

"What else makes people not like you?" Pollen asked.

Chloe hummed, trying not to make a sarcastic comment. "They don't agree with my opinions, even when I'm right."

Shaking her head, Pollen wrote down 'You say things that upset people.'

Chloe crossed her arms and muttered, "It's not my fault that they are upset by the truth."

Ignoring her, Pollen continued, "Do you have any other ideas?"

Pollen received a head shake in reply. Which was fine, of course. She could work with this.

Making a new page, Pollen re-wrote 'You see yourself as above others.'

"So," Pollen delicately sat on a pillow she had prepared next to the tablet, "Why do you see yourself as above others?"

Chloe scoffed. "That's easy, it's because my father is-"

"I said why do you see yourself as better than others, not why your dad is above others," Pollen interrupted, fighting back an eye roll.

"Fine then, it's because my mo- I mean," Chloe gave a light cough as Pollen raised an eyebrow at her. "It's because I'm rich and they aren't."

Pollen, sighing, wrote down 'lives luxuriously.'

Chloe frowned. "Doesn't that just mean I'm rich?"

"No, Chloe. Technically, you aren't rich. Your parents are. You just live in a very comfortable, very nice place that is paid for and maintained by your parents and their employees. Is that something that makes you better than someone else?"

"Uh, yes?"

"No!"

Pollen took a deep breath.