Deers in the Headlights

Beginne am Anfang

"Honey, go get a drink of water," Her Mum said looking over. 

Ara nodded as she got up to leave, Niall coming with her as he had to get out first for her, a smile on his lips as he lightly touched her hand to help her up. 

"I'm watching you two," Mr. Astor said as he leant over his wife to peer at Niall. 

Instead of saying anything, Ara's face showed a tight smile with a look that screamed Dad, stop embarrassing me! While Niall just nodded, from his previous encounter with Ara's dad, he expected nothing less. 

"Your dad's warming up to me." He laughed, whispering close to her.  "Who knows maybe next time he'll even let me Kiss You." Niall teased, singing softly the last part, the name of their latest single and the same one from yesterday that'd made her blush so much. 

Literally stumbling, Ara fell face down on the side pew of her church.  Okay, the ground needed to open up and swallow her whole and Niall had to stop teasing her especially when she was in heels as high as she was wearing! She most certainly knew how to walk in them, but not when people teased her like that! Her clumsiness had a wide ranging depth and knew various ways to embarrass her.

Wincing slightly, Niall guiltily fell down with her, taking some of the edge off her fall.  "Okay maybe I should've waited for after we got out." He whispered, on the floor with her.

Not saying anything, she just looked over at him and blew out a breath of air, a look of contempt on her face.

Niall smiled widely, trying to charm his way out of her being mad at him. 

"Really, you couldn't have waited." Ara tried to say angrily as her face reddened, after she could hear her Mum say it was just Ara, not to worry.

"Nope," Niall shrugged, a smile still on his lips before he got up first to help her up and grabbing the heel that had fallen off during her epic fall, letting  her use him to walk, or hobble off with only one heel. 

~~~

As soon as both made it out the doors, Ara leant against the pillar near the doors to fix her shoe.  Meanwhile Niall leant down to help her put on her other shoe. 

"Don't my feet are ugly!" Ara blurted as Niall was about to lightly grasp her foot and help her put her other classic black peep toe heeled shoe on.

"So are mine, I'm not going to judge- whoa! Man you weren't kidding." Niall joked.   Seeing Ara turn a fabulous shade of red though, Niall tapped her knee.  "I was kidding Ara Astor.  Relax,  they're not that bad.  You should see Liam's.  Now his are really bad.  Yours could be Cinderella's in comparison to his." He smiled gorgeously at her.  "Anyway it's not like as if I'm not going to like you just because you don't have beautiful feet." He said as he slipped the shoe on. 

At his words tough, Ara froze.  Niall just said like... and no! Ara do not go further into that! You have Nate and Niall's just about the friendliest and sweetest guy you've met.  Ara prepped herself as she blamed her fluttering butterflies and Summer's constant teasing.

~~~

Closing her eyes and holding onto her hair, Ara leant down to take a sip, only for some of her hair to escape.  As she was about to fix her hair, soft hands intimately brushed her hair to the side and held it gently away from the flow of the water fountain. 

Ara didn't dare look up as she froze.  She wasn't sure what to say and Niall wasn't saying anything just holding her hair for her, which shouldn't have felt like such an intimate gesture but it was.  There was a certain unspoken trust in the act.  She didn't even notice that her hiccups had stopped at this point, in her shock.

To gather more time she just began to drink more water till she knew what to say. 

~~~

In the end neither said anything.  A small silence between them that wasn't necessarily uncomfortable but was palpable.  However as they got back in, Niall accidentally used too much force to open the heavy church doors. 

At once all eyes were on them.  Both got rather deer in  the headlights expressions. 

"Oh praise the lord?" Niall asked with a grin. 

Meanwhile Ara tried to hide only to run into the fake plotted plant beside her; having to hug it to her so that it wouldn't fall over, then almost tipping over herself as for a fake plant, it was a lot heavier than she expected so that Niall had to hug the other side. And just like that,  the two stood there hugging this giant fake plotted plant while the congregation stared. 

"Can I just die now?" Ara whispered as she hid her face only causing Niall to shake in silent laughter.

~~~

"Well," Bradley said with a laugh.  "That was fun. You two should be a comedy duo." He said as he jerked his head towards Niall and Mrs. Hanas apparently with her crocheting group.   "Now I'm starved since this little imp decided I wasn't good enough to make extra French toast for," He looked over at Ara who returned with a look of her own.

"Hello Miranda," Ara's Mum said as Mrs, Hanas and Niall made their way to them. 

"My daughter and her boyfriend are ten minutes from here.  We're all going to have lunch at O'Johnston.  We wanted to ask if you all wanted to join?"

"Melina?" Mr. Astor said in confirmation causing Ara to look over at him in disbelief.  Of course it was Melina, the Hanas only had one daughter!

"Yes, Melina and Louis are here to pick up Niall before they head to the airport earlier in the evening."

"Well," Mrs. Astor said as though she wasn't quite sure to say yes or no, not having any time to discuss it with  her husband. 

Niall just stood there smiling at them before looking over at Ara.  As he gestured to the right side of his jacket, Ara could only stare in confusion.  "What?" She mouthed as Niall made a gesture as if to wipe it off. 

"I'm starved.  I'm in if they're all not." Bradley immediately volunteered himself, breaking the silence. 

"We would love to Miranda.  Is Elias joining us?" Mr. Astor said at last, following his son's lead. 

"Yes,the kids are dropping by and getting him. This will be so much fun." Miranda Hanas clapped in delight. "We haven'tall had a luncheon in years, since Ara's graduation!"

~~~

Just as Ara was about to pass Niall, his hand shot out to wipe the dust and dirt off her cardigan, that must have been from the pot plant they'd had to hilairously and rather awkwardly hold.  In order to not let it fall and crash to ground, making even more of a ruckus than they already were.

Ara's jaw dropped as her mouth slightly formed the letter O.  That was what Niall had been trying to tell her.  On cue, a small blush spread, much less intense than the ones she'd been having previously. 

"Oh Ara," Niall said as he shook his head as he offered her his arm to help up Bradley's truck.  

~~~

Next up is lunch! 

Hope you guys enjoyed it!