⇢ 𝘨𝘰𝘥'𝘴 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘮𝘢𝘯

Start from the beginning

Natasha sighed and ran her hands along his shoulders.

"Steve left it to you, and I'm sure he'd be okay with whatever you decide." She replied.

Y/N nodded and looked down. "I hope he's okay with this. I just...I told him I wouldn't let him down. Giving it to this memorial feels like a cop-out."

"If you really want to know what I think..." Natasha placed her hand on his cheek. "You are the only memorial he needs. You."

The super-soldier smiled and kissed her on the forehead. He looked back at the mirror and fixed the buttons of his suit jacket.

"People will see me as his living legacy. But this..." He looked at the carry-case. "They will see this as his symbol. His icon. His heroics."

Y/N looked back at Natasha and continued. "And the world needs that now. That's why I'm doing this."

• • •

WITHIN THE SMITHSONIAN National Air and Space Museum, a crowd gathered in front of the stage. Media, veterans, and officials also attended the event in Washington D.C. Y/N stood behind the podium and began to speak.

"My father represented the best in all of us. Courageous, righteous, hopeful. Not only did he master posing stoically, but was damn good with speeches as well."

Almost everybody in the audience chuckled at the remark. Y/N continued.

"He would never back down from a fight. He would never lower his head when a challenge seemed too great. He would always support others...bring people up...no matter the situation. He supported me, and many others, during the five years when it seemed like all was lost."

Y/N took a breath before speaking again. James Rhodes listened as he sat in the front row.

"He was a key part in what happened a few months ago

"He was a key part in what happened a few months ago. Billions of people reappeared after five years away, reuniting with families and friends who thought they'd be gone forever." He added. "It changed to the world as we know it...both in a positive and negative light. Because of that...we need new heroes. Ones suited for the times we're in. Symbols are nothing without the women and men that give them meaning. And this thing..."

Y/N chuckled as he bent down to pick up the shield that was resting by the podium. Photographers frantically snapped photos of the moment.

"...I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol. But it's more about the man who propped it up...and he's gone. So today, we honor Steve Rogers's legacy. The army captain, the superhero, the father, and grandfather. But also, we look to the future."