At first glance, the igloos all look pretty much identical- it took Katara a moment to recognize which one belonged to her family. "The one in the center," she said.
Ty Lee blinked, and Mai furrowed her brow. So why did the chief's family's dwelling look the same as every other house? They probably hadn't expected something on par with the Fire Lord's palace, but at least something more than the modest cabin in front of them. Poor Katara, having to grow up in such a hovel. It's a miracle she turned out as well as she did.
A familiar wolf-tail swayed as its owner gathered logs from the woodpile.
"Sokka!" Katara ran towards her brother.
Sokka swept her up in his arms. He was so warm and smelt of wood smoke and salty sea breezes. "Is that really you?" he said.
"The one and only." Back on her feet, Katara gestured to her companions. "You remember Mai and Ty Lee?"
Ty Lee blushed. "Hi, Chief Sokka."
Sokka brushed off the Fire Nation girls with a quick nod. He hugged Katara again. "What are you doing here?"
"I'll explain later," Katara said. A near frozen Mai was shaking like a wet polar bear-dog. "My friends need a warm fire and fast."
"By all means, come inside." Sokka ducked his head to get through the low passageway the lead into the igloo.

Katara, Mai, and Ty Lee followed him

Katara, Mai, and Ty Lee followed him. They removed their boots and outer clothing in a small mudroom. Then, of course, Sokka was the first to pass through the woven hanging that separated the mudroom from the central part of the igloo. "Gran-Gran," he said. "You'll never guess who's here."
Gran-Gran nearly dropped the bows she was holding when Katara walked through the door. Then, after putting the bowls down, she rushed over to hug Katara. "My little seal pup," she said. Gran-Gran smelt like the herbs she must have used to make whatever was bubbling in a pot on the fire and perfuming the entire central room with its delectable aroma.
Like well-bred Fire Nation girls, Mai and Ty Lee made low bows to their hosts as a sign of respect. However, Sokka and Gran-Gran shared a look: such a display was a tad excessive, wasn't it?
"You must be starving," Gran-Gran said. "I've put a pot of stew on the fire for breakfast."
"Thank you," Mai and Ty Lee chimed in unison.
"Yue... please bring in three more bowls."
A tall, slim girl stepped out from one of the storage corners, carrying the bowls that Gran-Gran asked for.
Katara heard that Princess Yue of the Northern Water Tribe was beautiful, but those reports hadn't prepared her for what she saw. With her fragile, ethereal looks, Princess Yue was more moon spirit than an ordinary woman.
Most Water Tribe women were hardy and sturdy, but Yue was willowy and delicate. Katara wouldn't have taken her for someone of Water Tribe ancestry if it weren't for her coppery complexion and blue eyes. Yue's most striking feature was her cascades of silvery-white hair. With her elaborate coiffure, which looked too heavy for her swan-like neck, she resembled a snowdrop, one of the few flowers that managed to grow in the South Pole during the warmer months.
Ty Lee tapped Katara on the shoulder. "I didn't know you had a sister."
"I don't have a sister," Katara replied. "That's Princess Yue of the Northern Water Tribe, Sokka's fiancee."
On Ty Lee's face, you could see all her hopes of snagging Sokka for herself die.
Yue came over to Katara and kissed her cheek. "My dear sister," she said. "I was beginning to think I'd never meet you."
Katara had been thinking the same thing. "I didn't expect to come home and find I now have a sister." She embraced Yue. "I thought I'd gotten rid of a brother."
Sokka rolled his eyes. "Did you escape, Katara, or did Prince Hot-Head let you go because he was sick of you?"
Katara bit her lip. Her brother had no idea, did he?
"Sokka, let your sister catch her breath first before the two of you start fighting." Gran-Gran gestured for everyone to sit down by the fire. "Their squabbles were the one thing I didn't miss while Katara was away."
Mai sat down close to the fire that Katara was concerned that a spark might fall on Mai's clothes and set her ablaze. Nonetheless, Mai still shivered.
Gran-Gran handed Mai a bowl of stew. "Have some of this, My Dear," she said. "It'll warm you right up."
Mai sniffed the stew. "What's in this?"
"Seal meat."
Mai shrugged her shoulders as if to say that it could be dragon piss for all she cared as long as it was hot.