Nuktuk and the Giants

A/N The tale of Nuktuk is based on the Inuit folktale "Kugaluk and the Giants" from Northern Quebec and the hero's name is of course taken from a certain mover starring our favorite himbo, Bolin. I also took some Norse inspiration when thinking up Water Tribe marriage customs, in that fathers can technically marry off their daughters by force, but its frowned upon and proverb Sokka quotes "It's easier to look after one hundred reindeer-moose than one girl" is based on an old Icelandic one.

Gran-Gran once told Sokka and Katara a story about a hunter called Nuktuk. While stalking elk-moose, Nuktuk is captured by two giants, a male, and a female, who bring him back to their igloo. Nuktuk slit the giant's throat while the brute was sleeping and escaped across the tundra. The giantess chases after Nuktuk to avenge her slain mate but Nuktuk escapes by crossing a frozen river. He cracks the ice to prevent the giantess from gaining on him.
"O, how will I cross?" the giantess cries, to which Kugaluk replies: "Drink the river dry." The giantess gulps down the river's saltwater until she explodes, covering the tundra in smoke.
According to Gran-Gran, this is why it's often foggy out on the South Pole's tundras.
"Fire Nation!" one of Sokka's fellow fishermen shouted when one of the Fire Nation's floating giant death machines appeared out of the fog.
Was this the ship where they were keeping Katara? Sokka couldn't bring himself to look at it in case it was.
"If dad were here," he cursed, gripping the handle of his boomerang. "He'd make them pay."
Sokka and Gran-Gran had tried to get in touch with Dad and the rest of the fleet. But their search came to nothing. They'd heard from Gran-Gran's old flame Grand Master Pakku of the Northern Water Tribe, who lived at the other end of the world, but nothing from Dad, who last they'd checked was somewhere in Earth Kingdom territory, a significantly shorter distance away.
Dad must be somewhere, and when they found him, he'd come back and make the Fire Nation sorry they were ever born.
Old Tarkik, who acted as the helmsman of their narrow wood and penguin-seal skin fishing boat, shook his hoary head at the much larger Fire Nation ship.

He removed the beluga-walrus ivory pipe from between his thin, wrinkled lips

He removed the beluga-walrus ivory pipe from between his thin, wrinkled lips. "Chief Hakoda wouldn't stand for this," he said, blowing a cloud of smoke. "Especially what they're doing to his little girl."