chapter 1

Bad dreams

Screams of many people could be heard as Benton hinder awoke in a jolt of fear as his mother grabs him hastily out of bed

"BEN WAKE UP! WE HAVE TO GO! "She shouts as footsteps of his father can be heard.

"Baby where's my ammo case the phaged that made their way into the city are more than we expected we have to force them out before anyone else is killed."

"BACK OF THE TOP DRAWER!" she shouts, ben now clothed and shoes on and grabbed a backpack she threw on his bed.

"Thank you, dear". as he comes to the door the two kiss before he leaves

He opens the door only to realize looking outside. that he was already too late. They all were too late. a large hoard could be seen as a black mass in the early morning light it wasn't two or three phage beasts but a whole hoard.

"Oh no". He says out loud." We're too late there's no fighting that.

we have to escape ".

"Ron what do you mean". He turns to look back so she can see the early morning sky just barely blue she notices that the hills are moving like a sea of blackness in the distance

Ron turns his radio on

Sound to evacuate! and call for reinforcements. Yes sir! The voice on the other end chimes in. Tell them that there's a large hoard coming straight for the town".

Some would say eerie quietness can't be described only witnessed

Moments later a siren is going off bens father turns around.

"Take the car down the back roads through the woods to your mother's in Denver. it's my duty as the sheriff to get as many as I can out of town."

"What do you mean"!

"I mean I know if I took you and ben and just left right now the three of us would be safe but who else would live. There's a whole city depending on me to make sure they survive. And you two are the ones I know I can save if you go now."

They kiss as she tells him

"I love you."

"Now ben listen to your mom I know your eleven now but that just means your mom's gonna need some more help ok."

Benton's parents kiss again

You better come back to us. Retorting "Yes mam" as he gets in his truck and speeds away.

get in the car. But mom I want to go with dad.

Quiet ben get in the car!

as she starts pulling him with.

They hurry to the truck by then gunfire and explosions could be heard in the distance.

Mom, I'm scared as he wipes away tears. I know hun, I know.

Everything's gonna be ok.

After a few moments, Benton's mother turns on the radio" warning canyon city is being evacuated please leave the area in a safe and timely manner" hoping something about this was on but all she could find is the automated evacuation warning.

Suddenly a phaged beast jumps out of the forest at the vehicle batons mother swerves to miss it only for it to hit the side of the truck.

Panicked she speeds up only to slam straight into another phaged splattering the windshield. horns of the phaged jutting into the cab of the truck. the dead phaged rolls off the car leaving one horn embedded into the roof and another in batons mother jerked to the side covered in phaged blood and a mechanical squealing getting louder they kept going. after a few miles, the car begins to lose power. Finally stalling out