Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

I hope the motherfucker who broke her heart never crosses my path.

I don't care if he's taller than me with an athletic build. He could be fucking Goliath for all I care.

He hurt Rylie. Her light hasn't been shining the same since and if I ever see him face to face, I will break his nose.

"Ready?" Dave clamps a hand on my back and I stand.

"Almost. Give me a few minutes."

I sneak up behind Josie where she's chatting with Livi on the couch now. I snake my arms around her shoulders and kiss her temple.

"Hey."

"Come with me." I whisper so only she can hear.

I move and let her stand, then I take her hand and pull her down the hallway to the guest room she's claimed as hers while being back in Atlanta.

"Be safe tonight, princess."

"You too."

I sit down on the edge of the bed and pull her to straddle me. Running my hands up her back, I kiss her neck once.

"You sure I can't sneak into this bed with you later?"

"It's bad luck." She sucks in a deep breath as my hand rises up her thigh and underneath her dress. "And we don't need any more bad luck than we've already had."

"Fine." I tug at the waistband of the thong I know she's wearing under this dress and press my lips against hers. "I guess next time I fuck you, you'll be my wife."

"I love the sound of that."

"Me, too, princess."

"I love you."

I'll never tire of hearing her say that.

"I love you, too."

With all the strength I can muster, I go back out to everyone with Josie.

"Let's go!" Dave shouts. "Uber is pulling up now."

I kiss Josie goodbye and we're off.

Dave takes us to the bar and we settle into a booth at the back, both wearing our baseball caps and sunglasses. The only downside to being in the limelight is never being able to go anywhere without a semi-disguise if you want to be left alone.

It wouldn't be hard for someone to figure out who I am right now, but the key isn't to look different, it's to blend in.

"Sorry, your bachelor party is going to be kind of lame, man. I had to plan on the fly."

"I don't give a shit about my bachelor party." I raise my glass to him. "We're going to drink; we're going to go back to my apartment and write that song you've been dying to write and then tomorrow I'm going to get fucking married."

"Sounds like a plan, bro."

I'm on cloud nine. Shit doesn't get better than this. No Grammy, no number one hit-single, no crowd of thousands of fans cheering for me could ever top Josie being back in my life, and my wife at that.

If this is my peak in life, I can live with it. But I have a feeling each day that goes by with her will just get better and better. Even though the hard shit. I think with Josie and I, it'll be faceable.

Josie

I want to gag as I raise the tequila to my lips. I hold my breath as I knock back the liquid and shove the lime into my mouth.