Chapter 2 : Nightmares coming to life

The fuck just happened to me, I've had plenty of nightmares before with different scenarios each time, but... feeling empowered; that was a first. Would I come to like it, being the one leading a crowd, is that all I want, recognition from everyone...

Nah, not me.

But what if it's not my biggest nightmare but biggest dream, that would be so selfish, how could I ever have what it takes to lead these people; everyone would hate me, well, except a few... it's already the case so what would it change... EVERYTHING !

- Come on Ayela, what are you thinking about, you need to get a grip on yourself or you'll become number one public enemy, you wouldn't want that, right ?

But what was all that darkness, usually the nightmares are pretty neat and I can picture all of it but this time, it was just a blur, like a dark fog.

A bit like my mind right now...

And in a blink, the few hours of rest I could get were gone. It was already 6.45, gotta get ready for a new week of ultimate boredom, YAY...

It was cold today, and foggy. I went on and put a pair of black jeans with a grey shirt, my usual nikes and, because I can at least try to be a good friend, I made an effort and grabbed the leather jacket Addy gave me.

- Not to bad... I thought looking at myself?

I went downstairs, took an apple to eat on the way and just before I left,

- Ayela, how did you sleep, I heard you going downstairs tonight,

- Oh, hey dad, well not to bad ( that was an obvious lie ), how about you. And, hum yeah, I went to have a glass of water,

- Alright and good thank you.

He seemed surprised that I asked how he slept, I normally just leave without any further conversation and without eating...

- You took an apple... He said looking at my hands,

- Hum, yeah why not,

- That's go...

- Well I gotta go, bye dad

- Bye... He said disappointed.

Yes, I was running away from any conversation, any questions about myself, I was just keeping my doors closed and locked from the world. A 10 minutes walk was needed to go to school, so as I did everyday, I looked at the sky, wishing I could fly, wishing I could run away from this emptiness. I ended up putting the apple in my bag when my appetite disappeared.

When I arrived to school, I was really surprised to see that no one was smiling, people were not shouting and running, just calmly discussing , some of them were crying. I thought the silence was nice until it became heavy, It truly felt like everyone got a terrible news on the same day. What the hell could possibly be happening : a general power cut, no internet ?, I laughed a bit in my head. But then when I looked at the world, it seemed dark, a familiar darkness.

- Ayela, you're finally here,

- Hey Addy, what's happening in here, why does it feels like everybody got invited to a funeral...

- You haven't checked your phone ?

- No, why, should I ?

- Look at mine, everyone received a message this morning, at 8 precisely; check yours,

- Oh yeah, you're right, I never look at my phone in the morni...

- Read it !

- Okay ...

Dear citizens of the world, you are all finally ready for what is going to happen next. In the meantime, continue doing your work as adults, continue going to school as teenagers and kids, continue do die slowly as elders. Only the G.O.V.O* and the J.W* can stay home. For security purpose, all the data of your phones and electronic belongings have been collected since years; all the existing social media have been deleted from this world, the internet has been cut. Don't try to contact anyone, your parents, the police, your friends, it's useless, everyone already got this message one way or another. Don't you dare panic, your are not hostages, you are not dead... On this note, we'll see each other soon.

*G.O.V.O : Governmental organizations

*J.W : Journalistic workers

On the sound of the bell, it felt like the world slowed down when a all black dressed woman walked through the hallway, her hells clapping on the floor. I felt like I new her from somewhere but impossible to put a name or a place on this face. She was tall with long black hair and grey eyes, so piercing you could die. She wasn't wearing much makeup nor jewelries, just an all black suit that was perfectly fitting her allure.

She was terrifying and looked like she could crush us all with one hand only. She walked straight down the hallway, to our principal's office and closed to door so harshly it resonated in the entire building.

When I finally looked away, I realized everyone was slowly and in silence going to class, like if nothing happened, like if we didn't just received a message about a world probable destruction or control. Then I heard, a steady voice coming from walls : « All students must attend to class and go on with their journey, do not panic, keep doing what you do, you are safe. »

This voice repeated itself three times, then complete silence. When we arrived in class, we clearly saw that the teachers weren't comfortable and certainly internally terrified; but they looked like someone told them what to do or forced them, because like if nothing happened, our teacher simply said : « Let's continue with chapter 7. »

During two very long hours, we had to follow a class while being under an invisible threat. No one listened, everyone seemed in their own thoughts, lost or losing themselves in the hundreds of possible theories. Then I realized that, while others were talking and scribing, that's what I probably looked like every day, sitting next to Addy at the back. Funny how I get to see everyone with that look on their face, like if, for once, they understood my pain, my emptiness.

When break time arrived, we all got hope that nothing would happen to us outside of these doors, but as I said, « we hoped ». The voice rang again : « Go class by class outside starting with TA's then by alphabetical order. You will then get in ranks, everyone standing on a black dot, stay calm, don't push each others. »

It was the beginning of the end...