Chapter 2: Shopping

Chapter 2: Shopping

"So where do you want to buy presents for just your 274 siblings ?" Nick asked as he pulled out onto the main street. He had to be very careful on the roadway, which was covered in frost and traction was practically negligible on it.

"Oh, not for 274 but for 100, Dad and Mum will buy for the rest. You know the galleries on Cheetah Street?" asked Judy , to which Nick nodded with a motion of his head.

"Hm...when you said that something tells me not to go shopping there" replied the fox after a moment's thought. Something was telling him in the back of his mind that it wasn't the right place for such a big shopping trip.

"As always you're trying to make excuses Nicki, as always..." sighed Judy looking through the glass. Nick always , when he was out shopping with Judy did whatever he could to avoid going and when he did go he would drift off into the unknown in his head not paying attention to what was going on next to him. When it came to shopping, he was a terrible lazy person. This was also good for Judy. That way she could decide what was in the kitchen and what they would eat. A healthy diet mostly reigned with her, but she also remembered that Nick was a carnivore and needed more meat than she did.

"No, that's not what this time is about ...oh never mind, let's just go there" replied Nick. Cheetah Street was next to the city centre, a few kilometres from the police station where Nick and Judy worked. However, as it was going to be a holiday in three days, there was a lot of traffic and the journey was slow and quite long, even though it would normally take no more than ten minutes.

Finally, after more than an hour of driving in traffic and shoving between cars, the windscreen came into view of a glass building whose ceiling was sprinkled with snow and whose walls were covered with billboards or TV screens.

"Here we are at last " said Judy as they drove into the mall's underground shoppers' car park. As malls go, there weren't many spaces in the car park and Nick had to walk a few rows when he found a space for their car. He parked safely and then they both headed up the stairs to the first floor.

"I hope you prepared a list or something , otherwise we'll be here all day" Nick said , when they reached the first floor of this huge shopping mall. On this floor there were shops with children's toys and the like. It was the perfect place to buy gifts for Judy's younger siblings.

"Calm down, I know what to buy. You better find some baskets" laughed Judy walking towards the first shop. With his hands folded in his pocket, Fox went for the shopping trolley that was on the other side of the floor. He took one , then walked into the shop where Judy was. It would take a while to find his rabbit, but he finally managed to find it in the blocks section.

"Oh how cute, I like blocks too...why don't you buy me one too?" asked Nick stopping by Judy. Rabbit laughed at his comment, but now she was really perplexed because she didn't know which set to choose. She was very anxious to get the gifts right for everyone and was afraid to deceive any of her brothers or sisters.

"You don't know what to choose do you?" asked Nick seeing Judy for whom they had splashed their ears to the back of their heads. That was always a sign of a rabbit's embarrassment.

"Well I'll try and give you a hint...If your brother likes cars buy him a car set, if your brother likes architecture buy him some building to put together...as for cars..." interrupted Nick taking the sports car set in his paws.

"...This one is pretty cool" acknowledged the fox looking at him.

"And what would I do without you " said Judy with relief taking the kit into her basket.

"Probably nothing hehe" laughed Nick looking at the next set.

"Rat fox" giggled Judy looking through more car kits with Nick. Mostly it seemed like the fox would pick out the more interesting sets and Judy would put them in the basket. She trusted him to pick really interesting sets. And it was good that she did, Nick wanted the best for her and she had known that for a long time.

"You know quite a lot about these sets...maybe you secretly put something together ?" laughed Judy as they picked out the last car set. Now it was time for something for the girls.

"Dear, my only car set is our car, I wouldn't betray it after all" replied Nick putting his paw over his heart as if he was swearing something.

"Haha, well let's assume I believe you. Now it's my turn to make my picks" replied Judy walking over to the women's department. Here Judy took the baton of leadership, as a girl she knew what would be best for her sisters. Nick was a little embarrassed to have to stand in this aisle, but he couldn't help it

"Tell me Karotko, what did you play with when you were little ?" asked Nick looking through the presents that she had put in Judy's pram. They were various dolls to play with.

"Dolls like any other girl, what else?" snapped Judy laughing at the question which made her laugh.

"Well, a rabbit who wanted to be a policeman...I thought you used to sneak a windbreaker for your dad" replied Nick with a hint of irony in his voice.

"Well, I did that once and it wasn't the smartest move " replied Judy putting more dolls into the already almost full toy trolley.

"And what happened then?" asked Nick curiously.

"Well, I didn't know how to shoot a gun back then and when my dad shouted at me, out of fright I fired and nearly blew his ear off" replied Judy nervously. Soon, when the space in the cart ran out Judy finished packing the cart.

"35 car sets and 35 dolls, well , that should be enough" thought Judy.

"Yeah ... I think so," replied Nick.

"All right, let's go to the checkout" said Judy steering the fox towards the cash registers.

"Well, we're going to stand out with this basket, that's for sure " replied Nick as he stopped behind the rather long checkout queue.

"I see we're not the only ones doing the long shopping " said Nick as he saw the queue stretching to several dozen people. He wasn't really interested in what was going on at the front - he took his phone out of his pocket and browsed the internet. Judy, as she leaned out from behind the queue, her ears drooped over her head and she lowered her head down.

"What's wrong?" asked Nick seeing Judy flopping her head from side to side.

"Do you know why there is such a long queue ?" asked Judy, Nick waved his head negatively.

"Your colleague is at the checkout" said Judy, to which Nick responded with curiosity. He looked out from behind the queue and couldn't believe it - the queue was manned by Flash!

"Well something unbelievable...Flash, Flash, you name it !"

"Apparently the poor guy lost his case in court " replied Judy leaning against the trolley. It's going to be a long queue...

Hey! If you want read more my FF please visit my FanFiction profile!
(Link on my Wattpad profile)