Twenty One

The night was still. That should've been the first sign.

For a late November night, it was considerably warm. The moon was full, the stars were bright, everything looked good. Like the world had finally found it's place, found that missing puzzle piece and completed the picture.

It had been a few days after Ms. Mystic Falls, April had won, which Ada thought she deserved, although it made Ada sad that Aria wasn't there to celebrate. Although Ada tried not to think about it, because things were going relatively well.

Usually in winter, things were bad. Seasonal depression was a real and very horrible bitch, that Ada usually struggled with. And she didn't want to jinx herself or something, but, Ada didn't feel bad at all. In fact, she felt better than she had in a long time.

Things were getting better, she was no longer arguing with Caroline, she was getting closer to Stefan, and well, there was Klaus.

When Ada walked up her driveway after a long day at school, and the several hours in the forest, everything was still good. Hopping up her porch steps, Ada reached for the door handle, only to see the door was already slightly agar.

The hairs on the back of her neck stood up.

Fuck.

She really didn't need her useless paranoia spoiling her good mood, just because the door was the littlest bit open, did not mean the world was going to implode. She didn't need an anxiety spiral right now. It was weird, Aria used to be the super paranoid, anxiety ridden one of the pair, but soon after Aria's death, it had been like Ada inherited all those traits.

Taking a long, deep breath, Ada pushed open the door. No one was there. Of course. Glancing down, Ada only saw her mother's shoes on the ground, most likely she'd come home from a long shift and forgotten to close the door fully. Ada huffed, of course everything was fine. It didn't matter how many times Ada tried to convince herself, she remained on high alert.

Walking into the house and taking off her shoes, Ada closed the door fully, locking it, then checking it one more time to make sure it was locked. Shrugging off her coat, Ada walked to kitchen, whistling to herself as she opened the fridge, pulling out the ingredients for a sandwich.

Putting mustard on her bread, then adding cheese and a slice of ham, Ada put some lettuce and a pickle. And the master sandwich was complete. Grabbing a glass from the cabinet behind her, Ada was about to fill it up with water, when a floorboard creaked.

Ada's head whirled around.

Immediately holding her hands up in fists as a defence, Ada glanced around the room, no one was there. Carefully wandering out into the hallway, Ada glanced around again, canvassing the house.

"Mom?" She called out cautiously "Caroline?"

No reply.

Ada dropped her hands, exhaling deeply. The house was over 30 years old, it was allowed to make noise.

A tap came at the window.

Ada jumped, ready to fight. Her heart was racing, about to rip through her chest. More taps.

Then, Ada realized, and she almost laughed at herself. It was just raining. Although that struck the witch as odd, considering it had just been a beautiful night minutes ago.

Whatever, Mother Nature could change her mind if she wanted too. Ada didn't care. Shaking out her limps and taking some long deep breathes, Ada walked back into the kitchen.