And as the weeks went by, both Rose and Lily slowly began functioning on their own. The tears were reserved for small moments throughout the day, Marlene and James came less often, as coming every day wasn't sustainable.

It was months before the girls felt even slightly okay. The two partners didn't tell them anything of what happened at school but Rose knew that quidditch was gone.

Every night, Marlene would send a vibration with the ring. It was all Rose could do to send one back, letting Marlene know she was okay.

And four months later, with only three weeks left in the term, the twins agreed that they would try and go back to school, just for the sake of it.

But through the whole four months, Rose's hair hadn't changed at all. She had even attempted to turn it lavender but the colour remained the same. Rose thought she was losing the magic altogether.

They sent an owl to the headmaster asking if they could come back to school and take their N.E.W.T. examinations, that they were ready.

Almost immediately they received a reply, welcoming them to return to school whenever they liked. Though he would ask that they come to see him first.

So on a Friday, the two girls got back into their school uniform for the first time in months. Together, they walked out of the empty Evans residence, held hands, and apparated into Hogsmeade.

They wobbled when they appeared but even the familiar smell caused warmth to pool in Rose's stomach. She smiled and looked at the small village.

And as they walked to the castle, it felt good. A place where they fit in, where they were cared about. Their friends were there for them, it was a place that made them feel safe.

Fortunately, the girls arrive at the castle while the last classes of the day were being f conducted. They walked to Dumbledore's office and used the coded message in the letter for the password. It was chocolate frog.

Dumbledore was sitting in the same spot he was when he told them that their parents had died. It made Rose nervous, her palms began swearing as she sat.

"Lovely to see you again, ladies. How are you both?" the headmaster asked the girls with a kind smile.

"We're okay. Getting there," Rose replied for both of them.

"I assure you there's no hurry to come back. Your N.E.W.T. examinations can be scrubbed if you two aren't ready. Your academic history is a clear insight to your capabilities," Dumbledore assured the two that they didn't need to come back if they were worried about their grades.

"We're ready. Hogwarts has always felt like a home to us, headmaster. And I think we need that right now," Lily said softly. With that, the wizard nodded.

"Then I'll be quick, I'm sure your friends will be delighted to see you. When I informed your... friends," Dumbledore said knowingly, "about the tragedy, I also asked them something else, something I'd like to ask the both of you."

Rose and Lily looked at each other with confusion before facing the headmaster once again.

"As you know, Voldemort is rising. He's gaining power built on a belief of hatred. His hatred toward those who share your blood. I believe he must be stopped, he reigns with fear and violence. And I'm afraid if left alone, he will only grow stronger, his tactics will become unspeakable," Dumbledore explained. This, the twins knew. They were keenly aware of this dark wizard.