Realization

I realized I loved him far too late. While I watched him writhe on the ground, the maddening laughter of his sister filling the smoke-filled air. He had sacrificed himself for me, why? He was far too important to do something so stupid! I gathered water on my hands my legs already moving towards him to heal him only to be stopped by her. The heat of her flames had always filled me with some form of dread, her blue fire like the worst thunderstorms Aang, Sokka and I had to go through on top of Appa. The raw power she held even in a state like this, reminded me how clever she was and how easy it was to toy with all of us. I barely dodged every hate fueled blast from her as she was almost feral, thriving on the thrill of killing me. I knew I didn't have much time. He needed me. Hiding behind one of the many pillars of the palace, I noticed some stray chains quickly hatching a plan and praying to the spirits watching over us that it would work. I jumped out in her sight, grimacing at her all too wide grin as she lunged at me, blasting fire behind her to pick up speed. I quickly rushed over to the running water beneath our feet landing on a grate as I stood my ground ready to attack. When she was close enough, her hand ready to grab my face, I struck, quickly encasing us in ice. It took a couple moments for my heart to steady before I exhaled slowly, changing the temperature around my body and my body only allowing me movement as I wrapped the chains around her wrists and the grates below us. I made sure to tie her down as tight as I could, not wanting to take any chances. Once I was satisfied I bent the water back down in the grate allowing us to breathe once more. I ignored her thrashing and screams as I rushed straight to him, his body still convulsing from the lightning that he took for me. Fear overtook my thoughts as I moved him onto his back and began healing him. Wondering if I could really bring him back, wondering what brought him to that stupid idea of taking lightning for me. Wondering about the fear in his voice as he rushed to save me. You're so stupid. I thought bitterly as I focused on healing the body, working on the damage as fast as I could. So, so stupid! Tears burned at my eyes as I put every ounce of energy into healing him. I wasn't going to let him die. I couldn't. Not after all we've been through. Memories flooded though my head from his help with the chores, to helping me come to closure with my mother's death. How even though we were enemies, I was so willing to help him in the catacombs. How many times should I have seen how I felt about him? How when I hugged him, after confronting Yon Ra, I had never felt more content and safe in my life. He was there the entire time and I never knew. And if I failed I would never get to tell him. A ragged breath came from him as he coughed, my whole body brimming with elation. He was alive! He was here! He was so stupid! A knowing smile curled at his lips, a smile I now knew I never wanted to stop seeing.

"Thank you, Katara." He reached a hand over to my face as I choked out a sob through my laughter placing my hand over his as I leaned into his palm, feeling his pulse against my skin.

"I should be the one thanking you." He weakly chuckled as I pulled him in for another hug realizing how much I was shaking. He gripped my body tight as we both came to terms with him coming back from the brink of death. After what seemed like hours, I moved off of him and helped him up, steadying his body. He looked at me for a moment, before using his hand to tilt my head towards him leaning in for a clumsy kiss. I gasped for a moment before pulling him close kissing back my heart soaring. As we parted, my eyes lingered on his lips my hand nearly reaching for him again. He stroked my cheek gently before I readjusted both of us, walking him over to his sister. Azula screamed in agony, spitting fire wildly as she fought against the chains feverishly, tears streaming down her face. Despite all she's done, I couldn't help but to feel my heart break for her, it was like looking at an entirely different person as I remembered she was just like us. Barely older than Aang and Toph. She had gone through entirely too much too. We all had. Zuko moved off me, shouldering his own weight as he moved to hug his sister as she wailed like a lost child, and I guess in a way, that's exactly what she was.

~~

Time passed as Zuko was getting ready for his coronation as Fire Lord. Quietly, I snuck my way in to where he was looking over his nation, his shoulders back and his head high as he bathed in the sunlight. Despite his wounds, he was happy. He reached over to put on his robe when he spotted me, a small faint blush tinting his cheeks. I gave him a soft smile as I approached him.

"Are you ready?" He gave a nervous exhale.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I looked over at his chest, the bandages all around his body reminding me what he had done for me. Slowly a placed a hand on his chest and looked up at him.

"That was stupid you know." I said. "You taking that lightning the way you did. You could've died." He said nothing as he placed his hand over mine pressing it against his skin inviting me to feel his pulse. It was strong and quick paced, his amber eyes looking down on me.

"I was in good hands." He grabbed locked his fingers with mine as we enjoyed the serenity of the moment. Things weren't still but they were calm, almost as if the world itself had time to breathe. He leaned his chin on my head softly as I moved closer to wrap my other arm around his body, enjoying his warmth.

"You're an idiot." He chuckled softly, burying his hand in my hair. Though I think we both understood he was my idiot.