final chapter: letters

Note: Some aspects of this chapter could be differently handled than in the official manga. Recognise that this is a fan-fiction, and that for the authors sanity, some of the small details may not be completely correct. Thank you

When Megumi read Itadori's response, his face never changed it's emotionless state.

Maybe part of him felt numb. His emotions had been raging for days, and they finally ceased because they could not fight anymore. Someone that Megumi loved-- whether platonic or romantically, he would never understand-- had read his confessions straight from the source. Forget being distracted from his jujustsu duties, he abandoned his feelings in a book that he didn't bother to protect. Itadori found it with ease, and read it all. His lifeline was exposed and more vulnerable than ever.

Itadori's words were kind. They were messy and beautiful, just the way that he talked. They showed that he was unsure of himself, a little bit shy and confused, just as Megumi was himself. Maybe it was the feeling that being vulnerable in your words destroyed your masculinity, but he wanted to believe that his words were what made him human. The words of someone who loves.

When he finally finished, his face grew hard. The insults that Itadori threw at himself were hard to hear, but who said that when Itadori read Megumi's confessions, he felt any different? For a moment he only sat there and looked at the notebook, both in disbelief that he was reading this and in admiration for the pretty words. Then, we he felt most ready, he picked up a pencil once more.

October 30th, 2018

Your words aren't vandalism. Some of your words are stupid. You are not a monster. You are not at fault. But I think I understand where you're getting this from. You took my words and transferred them to you. You took my experiences and related them to yours. Of course I mind with you stealing from me, but I can't tell you I'm angry when I'm far from it.

This book is my lifeline but I know you won't break it. I trust you, Itadori

- Megumi Fushiguro

When he finished his words, he walked out of his room and slid the notebook under Itadori's door.

Their letters went on throughout the night.

When Itadori replied again, Megumi was secretly elated. The fact that this was a secret something they could share made him feel as if the weight on his chest had been loosened. Though it was not completely gone, because how could it ever be, he felt lighter. The burdens of his worries and fears were no longer just his own. They were Itadori's too.

I sometimes wonder what life was like before I had eaten the finger. Is it bad to sometimes miss that feeling? It was something Itadori had said in his letter back. No, I don't think it's bad. There's an odd sense of serenity when you live your life in denial. Megumi hoped that these words were the right ones to say.

He wanted to say the truth. I'm sure you find this awkward and childish. I apologise for everything I told you before, all of the things you were never supposed to read. But Itadori was kind in his words. I would be lying if I said I didn't appreciate them. After all, writing things down isn't all that new to me. I have admiration for you, too.

There's a lot about myself that I don't know. Megumi.

There's a lot about myself that I don't understand. Itadori.

Sometimes I wish I was better at these things; I feel like emotions are are hard as fighting a curse. Megumi.

Sometimes I know that I'm better than this, but facing an inner demon is harder with each passing day. Itadori.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐬𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩? | 𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐟𝐮𝐬𝐡𝐢 ✓ 🎉