One

As I stand in the garage and watch my husband prepare to leave for a job that he hates more than he loves to keep a promise to me that he made, I ponder from where his strength comes.  With his recharge vacation stolen because of Lockdown, he has to soldier on without nature's beauty to help keep him strong and sane. The Earth's blue waters, sandy beaches, and blue skies allowed him to unwind and cleared his mind of discord. Nature provides the body and soul with beauty and rest, and it is something that we all should fight to keep.

I watch him as he walked toward his vehicle with his green lunch sack in hand because he does not want to eat fast food, and food from home is always the best lunch, so he says.

I look for cracks in his sanity, but I never find any. He is as solid as a rock while running on his reserves. He tells me not to worry about the lost vacation time, but I worry about him working at a job that he hates more than he loves. I don't want it to eat up the last of his reserves.

He pauses at the driver's side door and looks at me, and smiles because I don't usually see him off to work. So he knows that I am concerned about him.

"Don't you know that you are my blue sky, my blue ocean, and my sandy beach? I get to unwind every day I come home. You make keeping my promise easy."

With that, he got into his vehicle and pulled out of the garage heading towards a job that he hates more than he loves to keep a promise while running on reserves.

Author's Notes

My entry to the missed milestones writing contest.