11

It's New Years Day today.

You finished up your shift at the convenience store and left for home.

On your way, you stopped in front of the pet store. The small, grey rodent you saw a few days ago was gone.

I guess it found a home. You thought.

You haven't talked to Yuki that much the past few days. You thought that you needed to create some space between you and him.

Anyway, you remembered him telling you the day before that he was going to go to the main estate today.

Every year, Akito and the zodiacs would gather and have a banquet, just like the old story. He should be there right at this moment.

You went into your apartment and sat in front of your mom's picture.

"Happy New Years, mom. It's been 4 or 5 years now since you left," you said. "Are you proud of me? I've been staying strong for this long without you. Keep watching me, mom, okay?"

Suddenly, your phone vibrated as you received a message.

Father: I deposited the money into your account.

He says the same thing over and over again. You were getting sick of it.

You decided to head out to the shrine since you had nothing to do anyway.

On your way there, you saw lots of people gathering and writing wishes. You felt a pang of jealousy as you watched families talking and laughing together.

You then turned your attention to the tanzaku. You took a piece of paper and took out a pen.

What should I wish for?

You always wished for the same thing every year: "Lot's of good food and money."

But you wanted something else this year.

You wrote your wish down on your strip of paper and tied it to the bamboo tree, which had many other wishes hanging from its branches.

You wrote, "I wish for the Sohmas to be free from the curse."

You made this wish not only for Yuki, but for everyone else who suffered from the curse.

Hopefully, a higher being somewhere will pay heed to your wish and grant it.

You then spotted a food cart selling mochi. It reminded you of the mochi you ate with Yuki at your school's culture festival.

You couldn't stop thinking about him. Everywhere you looked, his face would pop up in your head.

You took out your phone and went to your contacts. You scrolled down to Yuki Sohma and called him.

He picked up.

"Happy new years, Y/n," he said.

"...happy new years."

"So, why'd you call?"

"What are you doing right now?"

"We just finished up the banquet. What about you?"

You gulped down your saliva, feeling the nervousness spread throughout your body.

"I keep thinking about you."

There was pause.

You held your breath as you waited for a response.

"Where are you right now?" he asked.

"I'm at the shrine near school. Why?"

"I'll be right there, so wait for me!" He hung up.