Chapter Four

Depuis le début

She turned around with a smirk on her face. "I don't do after parties. My brother is picking me up, family bonding time" Lilli told me, putting the umbrella over my head. "For someone who loves family you never really talk about them" I mentioned to Lilli, the rain filling the empty void in my ears.

"Dad left when I was a baby. My mom raised me alongside my brother, John who was 19 when I was born. He taught me everything I know about mechanics and physics. My mom was from New Orleans and taught me how to make gumbo and do voodoo" Lilli giggled at me, shaking her hand at me like a witch.

I nudged her gently, her foot falling in a puddle splashing us both. "Think you can voodoo my old bullies, make 'em shit themselves during class or something" I laughed with her. "I wish, show them Metropolis dipshits" Lilli smirked before a RV showed up.

A man older than us smiled kindly out the driver's side. "Okay lovebirds pack it up" He smiled at us, winking at Lilli. "Fuck off John" She spat at him before kissing my cheek.

"See you around Kent" Lilli smirked at me before jumping into the RV and driving away. I lightly touched my cheek, feeling my face go red. I started to walk towards the truck. I grabbed the money in the glove compartment, jiggling the keys in my hand.

"Dad said not to go joyriding, right?" I contemplated, looking at my Dad's keychains. There was one that really caught my eye. It was the boys and I, when we were six. Dad held me on his shoulders, the boys at either side of him holding his hands. I remember, it was Christmas Eve and Mom kept complaining that we didn't have a good photo for the Christmas cards that year.

I remember I started to climb the props outside Santa's grotto, jumping onto my Dad's back. It was the perfect day, before the fire, the bullies, rumours. Before these powers, before we found out Dad was Superman. I rubbed the burn scar on my left arm, mind trailing up to under my elbow. "Can't joyride on an empty stomach" I decided before running off to the food stand that was thankfully still open.

I thanked the guy who gave me my curry and fries before walking back to Dad's truck. I saw Dad walking out of the school, a serious look on his face. "Dad? What's wrong?" I asked him, throwing him the keys before jumping into the truck. "You're Mom left with Sam, it's not ending well" Dad told me, before reversing the car out of the school parking lot.

"When does a conversation with Grandpa ever end well" I muttered, rolling my eyes, there goes my joyride.

...

I stayed outside while my Dad played mediator between Mom and Grandpa. The front door opened, Grandpa walked past me. I quickly ran inside, a bad feeling in my stomach. I noticed Mom and Dad taking a breath.

"Please don't tell me he's staying" I frowned, walking up to my parents. Dad nodded. "Great. And I thought the weekend was freedom from stupid rules and people" I muttered.

Mom gave me a pointed look. "Jayden, please behave while your grandfather is here" She pleaded with me. "Fine. But if he does anything I am retaliating, big time" I huffed, gaining a hug from my mother.

"Fair enough" Dad agreed with me. I pulled away from Mom, yawning as I did. "I'm off to bed" I announce before truding upstairs. I looked in the mirror for the first time in a long time. My cheek still felt all warm from the kiss Lilli gave me. Her brother seemed familiar, like I've heard his voice before.

I went into my room, looking at the mess I left it in. "Jesus Christ!" I exclaimed, looking at all the dirty clothes. "Language!" Dad yelled from downstairs. I only huffed before gathering up all the clothes and putting them into my hamper. I only had a pile or so left and the hamper was already overflowing.