Chapter Eight

The next morning, Will and I walked to the bus and I noticed that he looked pumped for some reason. "What's going on with you?" I asked him allowing my curiosity to get the best of me. "I mean you're acting excited like you just won the lottery."

"I'll tell you when I tell Layla," He told me with a huge smile on his face. I rolled my eyes at him as we continued to the bus stop. When we were about 10 ft away from it, we spotted Layla there. "Layla," My brother called jogging to our flower child friend. I stepped up my pace a bit to catch up to the pair. "You two are not gonna believe what happened to me last night." Layla didn't say anything just held up one of the cookies from the restaurant last night. Will looked down and went "Oh, love these" before biting into it. When he bit into it, the fortune got stuck on his lip and he pulled it off to read it. "Your loyalties are clear when it comes to your friends." I scoffed when he looked at her obviously. Layla raised her eyebrows waiting for him to realize what that fortune hinted at. I watched as it finally donned on him. "Oh, God. Oh" Was all he could say. "Oh," He sounded regretful. "I totally spaced. I'm sorry I know you must want to kill me."

I rolled my eyes and muttered. "I know I do." They both looked at me shocked at what I said but I just shrugged them off. "What? Unlike you, Will, I kept my promises."

Layla decided to change the course of the discussion. "Actually, just the opposite. I have something to tell you" My eyes widen and I suddenly got a little cheery, was she finally going to confess her love?

"Yeah?" Will asked our dear friend.

"Yeah but you first," The redhead told her crush politely.

Will looked to me and then back at the flower child. "It's about homecoming"

"Really? Me too" Layla beamed at Will with hope.

To me, something felt off about this conversation. I think this is about to take a bad turn. "I'm going with Gwen Grayson" I could literally feel Layla's hopes and heart shatter at those words. "Can you believe it?" Will continued oblivious to Layla's obviously broken heart. "Me, a freshman, is going with the most amazing girl at Sky High."

I walked over to Layla and held her hand to show I'm here for her as she decided to put on a fake smile before saying. "That's awesome" I watched as her eyes betrayed her words.

Will being the moron that he is replied excitedly. "I know" before turning to where the oncoming bus was about to stop.

When the bus door opened, I held Layla back for a moment. "What are you going to do now?" I whispered. She shook her head unknowingly. "Tell him that you know who I'm going with, that or makeup something about a hot guy asking you to homecoming." She nodded and we got into our seats.

For most of the bus ride, Will never brought up what Layla was gonna tell him and that was somewhat a relief until he finally did. "Oh, yeah. I almost forgot." He turned to her. "What was your homecoming news?"

Layla looked towards me and I nodded. "Serena and I are going too."

Will looked shocked at the fact that not just Layla but I was going to go to homecoming. "Really" He looked at me. "With who?"

I decided to speak up for myself. "Warren Peace," I said with a smile.

It got bigger as I watched his face just completely dropped. Luckily the bus finally landed at the school and I got out as fast as I could taking Layla with me. We sped walked to the school with my brother hot on our tail. When he finally caught us in the hallway, he asked in a tone that was angry yet surprised. "Warren Peace?"

"Yep" Was all I said as Layla and I kept walking.

"You can't be serious, " Will continued following us at almost every turn. "Serena, the guy's a psycho and he's my biggest enemy."