༒chapter eight༒

Depuis le début

Everyone quiets down to listen to Ben.

He steps up on the launcher for the Kill Zone.

"What is he doing?" Mal asks.

"I don't know," I say, "I don't have afternoon tea with him."

"There's something I'd like to say!" Ben shouts into the mic. "Give me an M!" Everyone shouts 'M' and makes an M with their arms. "Give me an A!" We give him an A. "Give me an L!" We give him an L. "What does that spell?"

"Mal!"

"Come on! I can't hear you!"

"Mal!"

"I love you, Mal! Did I mention that?"

I start laughing as Mal looks like she wants to be anywhere but here.

"Give me a beat!" Ben shouts to the band.

Doug starts counting in Spanish before they start playing a song.

"Oh god," I laugh. "He's gonna sing, isn't he?"

"Oh my god," Evie laughs.

"What was in that cookie?" Mal says, smiling at us.

"Did I mention that I'm in love with you?"

"And he's singing," I say, laughing, but clapping along with the others anyways.

"And did I mention there's nothing I can do?" He hops off the launcher and starts dancing. "And did I happen to say, I dream of you every day. Well, let me shout it out loud if that's okay, hey, hey."

"Hey!" we all shout, making Mal flinch.

"Why are you participating in this?" Mal asks me.

I shrug. "I think it's funny."

"If that's okay."

"Hey!" I laugh when Mal flinches again.

"I met this girl that rocked my world like it's never been rocked. And now I'm living just for her and I won't ever stop. I never thought that it could happen to a guy like me. But now look at what you've done you got me down on my knees. Because my love for you is ridiculous. I never knew—"

"Who knew?"

"—that it could be like this. My love for you is ridiculous. My love is r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s. It's—Just—And I would give my kingdom for just one kiss. Well, did I mention I'm in love with you? And did I mention there's nothing I can do? And did I happen to say I dream of you every day. Well, let me shout it out loud if that's okay, hey, hey. Yeah, if that's okay. I gotta know which way to go. Come on, give me a sign. You gotta show me that you're only every gonna be mine. Don't wanna go another minute livin' without you. 'Cause if your heart just isn't in it I don't know what I'd do. Because my love for you is ridiculous. I never knew that it could be like this. My love for you is ridiculous. My love is r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s. It's—Just—And I would give my kingdom for just one kiss. Come on now."

Ben takes his jersey off and throws it into the crowd. Mal catches it and laughs.

"Because my love for you is ridiculous."

Ben hops on the horse mascot and I start laughing with Evie even more.

"I never knew. That it could be like this. My love for you is ridiculous. My love is r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s."

Ben is launched, literally, into the crowd before he crowd surfs to Mal.

"It's—Just—And I would give my kingdom for just one kiss. Come on now."

When the music ends, Ben goes in for a kiss, but Mal ducks away. He wraps his arm around her and gives her a side hug. "I love you, Mal. Did I mention that?"

Pink bitch steals the mic from Ben.

"Yo, what gives?" I ask, glaring at her.

"Chad's my boyfriend now! And I'm going to the coronation with him. So I don't need your pity date," she says before kissing Chad. I roll my eyes at her.

Ben grabs the mic and turns to Mal. "Mal! Will you go to the coronation with me?"

Mal grabs the mic. "Yes!"

"She said yes!"

"Let's go, Ben!" Jay says, dragging Ben away. "The whole team's waiting for you."

"Yeah," Ben says.

"Bye," Mal says, waving. She turns to Evie and sees the look on her face. "I feel really sorry for Audrey," Mal says. She nods to me. "Don't you, Harp?"

I snort. "No, I hate the bitch." Mal raises her brows. "Oh, right, yeah, I feel so bad for her."

"You do?" Evie asks us.

"Yeah," Mal nods.

"Totally," I say. I'll just go along with whatever Mal is saying right now.

"I feel like if she were talented like you, and she knew how to sew, and knew beauty tips, that she wouldn't need a prince to make her feel better about herself."

Evie smiles. "I guess I am kind of talented."

"You are definitely gifted," Mal says.

"And, you know, her mom fell asleep by pricking her finger on a needle. I'm guessing the smart genes don't run in the family," I put in.

"She was under a spell—" Evie starts.

I put my finger up to silence her. "I'm saying you're smart, E."

"Oh," she smiles brightly. "Thank you guys."

We start cheering again when the team lifts Jay up and he holds up the trophy.