The sun was dipping back down when hurricane Giulia returned, banging open the front door loudly. She collapsed on the couch, exhausted.

"Whew! Finally over." She said with a sigh.

"How did the race go?" Luca said, putting away his books.

"Absolutely amazing! A little girl named Isabeta won. She ate that pasta faster than Alberto on Trenette al pesto day!"

"Hey!" Alberto said indignantly, but she ignored him.

"What have you guys been up to?"

"Nothing really," Alberto said, reaching back for one of the nature books.

"Oh!" Giulia said, looking from Luca to Alberto. "In that case, do you think you could help get dinner started? I'd like to to be ready when Papa gets home."

"Sure," Alberto said, standing and walking to the kitchen. Luca came up behind him when Giulia spoke again.

"Actually, Luca, I need your help with something. Can you come over here?"

"Oh - okay." He said, setting the glass bowl he was holding back down on the table.

Alberto watched him disappear into the hallway.

Luca POV

Giulia led Luca into her room, closing the door behind them.

"What do you need?" He asked, looking around.

"Weeeeell," she took a deep breath. " I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Oh," Luca said, surprised. Why did they have to come to her room to talk?

"I've wanted to say it for a while. You know how we pretty much grew up together?"

"Yeeeaaah?" Luca said, not sure where this was going.

"And how we have gotten really close over the years?" She continued pushing the words out faster. Her face was so red it nearly matched her hair.

"What are you trying to say?"

"What I'm trying to say is..." She threw her hands in the air and spit out the following few words fast. "I like you! There I said it!" She finished her voice shaking at the end.

Luca stood confused. "Well, I like you too, Giulia."

"No, no, I don't think you understand." She stepped closer, closing the distance between them. In a much quieter voice, she said, "I like you, Luca. Not in a friendship kind of way."

Luca's eyes widened as he took in her meaning.

"Oh!" He sputtered. "Oh...I..."

"I just want to know if you feel the same way!" Giulia pressed, stepping even closer.

"Well, I..." He didn't know what to say. His mind was a panicked mess.

"Well?" She stepped so close their noses nearly touched. "Do you like me back?"

She was too close. Way too close. Without really meaning to, he stuck his hands out, pushing her away. He quickly spoke at the hurt look on her face.

"I... I'm sorry Giulia." He breathed. "It's just you said that so fast." He scratched the back of his head. He had never been in a situation like this before. Let alone with Giulia!

"I'm just.. not sure.."

"It's an easy question!" She said, her voice growing sad. "Yes or no."