Chapter 1

Bellafrost sighed, her muzzle to the night sky. SilverClan was sitting a vigil for a cat which was hopefully the last death this leaf-bare. Bellafrost glanced over at Snowbreeze sympathetically. After Thrushtail's death, all the cats thought that new-leaf would come and deaths would stop. They were wrong. Birchclaw, too humble to take food from the kits, younger warriors, and apprentices, had been giving up his food to his Clanmates. He had died of hunger.

Snowbreeze and Owlflight were crouching next to Birchclaw's body, grief and pain in their eyes. Cloudbranch and Brackenfur, Snowbreeze's siblings, were sitting beside her. Frostclaw was sitting beside Owlflight, his white tail wrapped around his best friend's back.

Bellafrost rested her muzzle on her paws. It had been a hard leaf-bare. A wave of green-cough had spread through the camp, infecting a third of the cats. Maplecloud died first. She was the oldest and stood no chance against sickness. Woodshadow, weakened by a battle, died next. He spent his last moments in his den, surrounded by friends and family. Firesong and Breezefang both died on the same day. Many senior warriors that Riverstar and Dawn relied on had also died to the cold and the sickness, including Lilyheart, Skybright, Lightthunder, Tigertooth, and Eartheart. Firesong died right before Thrushtail. Willownose, who had forbade Smokefern to go near the sick cats, had caught green-cough and also passed away. Eaglepaw, then Eaglekit, had taken an interest in medicine and was now being trained by Smokefern.

Bellafrost was driven out of her thoughts when her sister, Honeyflare, rested her tail on her shoulder. Both of them could communicate by thoughts due to the close connection the two shared.

Are you okay? Honeyflare asked.

I'm fine...just reflecting. Bellafrost sighed.

Smallfoot, who the two sisters were sitting next to, hugged her daughters close. "You'll be fine, both of you," she whispered. "We'll get through this together.

Nutspring and Streampelt, who had become close friends over the death of Acornleaf, slipped out of the nursery, their eyes bright. Mewls from the kits sounded from the opening.

Riverstar, Stormheart, Lightningheart, Petalfur, Hollyleaf, Smokefern, Blazefire, Stempaw, Eaglepaw, Ashpaw and Silverpaw were huddled together. They, Bellafrost thought, are the biggest family in SilverClan. Riverstar and Stormheart have six kits, Riverstar has a brother who has a mate, and one of his daughters' has a mate. All of them are super close.

Dewfang was sharing tounges with Brightclaw. Bellafrost assumed they had taken a liking to each other, but she wasn't sure she approved. Even though Dewfang and Doveflight were rogues from birth, Bellafrost felt as if they were her own siblings, and she felt the need to protect them.

The sun was starting to rise. The remaining elders took Birchclaw's body at much protest from close family members, and hauled him out of camp.

Bellafrost saw some of her own family go into the warriors' den to sleep, but she wasn't tired.

"Dawn," she mewed quietly to the calico. "Can I take a hunting patrol?"

The older cat's eyes were dull. "Okay."

"Do you want me to send out other patrols, too?" The question slipped from her mouth before she could stop it, and she slapped her tail over her mouth in embarrassment. "Sorry, that's your responsibility, you can do it..." she trailed off as Dawn purred.

"That's fine, Bellafrost," she mewed. "I'm not feeling well, so you can do my duties for the day."

Bellafrost's fur spiked. "Go to Willow-I mean, Smokefern if youre not feeling well!"

"Okay."

Bellafrost looked around. "Who is fit enough to go on patrol?" she called quietly.

Several of the younger warriors came up to her. Bellafrost counted Swiftfeather, Kestrelheart, Doveflight, Hollyleaf, Daisypool, Leafspring, and Gingerleaf. The ginger and white warrior left Oakspot with a backwards glance, always reluctant to leave her crippled brother alone.