•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 30•

Start from the beginning

"I can't do that." I tried to keep my voice even.  

"And why not? Because then you can't control me?"

"Is that what you think I'm trying to do?"

"Isn't that what all you Maniscalco men do?"

"I'm not my brother Julia."

"You threatened to take my child away from me. I'd say you're a carbon copy."

"Julia, I'm sorry."

My hand reached out for her again, but she dodged my touch, holding both hands up.

"Listen, I think you should go back to Jersey, Andres. Just leave us alone."

"Julia..."

My phone vibrated in my loose shirt pocket, drawing my attention just long enough for her to slip away and around the corner.

"Yeah."

"Where are you?" Adrian gruffly demanded from the other end as I headed to an empty end of the hallway.

"I had something to take care of. Come va?" (What's up)

"Gianni è morto." (Gianni's dead.)

"Che?" (What?) What happened? What'd you do?"

"We're moving into new territory with this Mancini alliance, and I don't want any loose ends. Before he flew out here this afternoon, I had Lorenzo get rid of him."

"I don't trust Lorenzo, Adrian. You had him spending too much time with Gianni in the cellar."

"Don't get beside yourself Andres, brother or not- you work for me. When I want your opinion I'll ask for it. Be here in an hour. We have a meeting with Giuseppe."

Without giving me a chance to argue, Adrian hung up, leaving me to grumble to a dead receiver.

Just a few more days.

An overdue sigh and eye roll took control of my expression as I went back to my son's room.

"I have to go..." I announced as I walked in on Nick finishing his jello cup.

"Where are you going?" He asked while trying to sit up and Julia helped.

"I gotta go back to work."

"Jurassic Park's coming on tonight. Can you come back and watch it with me?"

I glanced toward Julia and then back at Nick, "Um, I don't know Polpetta."

"Andres is busy baby. I don't think he'll be back for a while."

"But why...?" Nick's tiny voice cracked.

Julia opened her mouth but I cut in before she could explain.

"Sometimes," -I stepped around the bed and knelt down in front of Nicky- "adults make really big mistakes and they have to fix it."

"They can just say sorry."

Julia and I tossed each other more passing looks.

"I doing think it'll work this time bud."

"But I never see you and you... just...got...here!" Nicolai's cheeks reddened as he breathed in double time and broke out in tears.

"I know. I'm so sorry Polpetta."

Nick pressed his hand into his side where the bandage tugged at his skin with each wrenching breath he let out.

"It won't be forever Nick." I kissed his forehead, holding him close to my torso as his body writhed in my arms.

"Baby you gotta calm down, you're gonna make your tummy hurt." Julia coaxed.

Nick's coarse wails rattled into the center of my chest, while the buzz of my phone joined in.

"I gotta go, but I promise it won't be long before I see you again Polpetta. I love you bud."

Julia pried Nick away, his grappling fingers tearing at my shirt as I slid him into his mother's arms.

My son's cries faded as I exited his room and painfully plodded off of the pediatric unit.

• • • •

I made it home, surprisingly with plenty of time to spare.

I jogged up the stairs from the foyer to my office, planning to make a few calls before our meeting. As I approached I found Bianca standing at my office door holding a tray of pomegranate tea and butter cookies.

"Bianca? You okay?" I neared her and laid my hand on her shoulder gently.

Her eyes bulged as her head swiveled. She reached up, touching the torn front pocket of my cotton shirt. 

"It's okay, I snagged it on something. What's wrong?"

A deep sigh caused her eyebrows to pinch as she clutched the collar of her shirt and sheepishly met my gaze. I guided her into my secure office, allowing her to speak freely.

"M-Mr. Andres....I have something to tell you...." -She paused, weighing her words- "It's about your father...."

" Che dire di lui?" (What about him)

"You're father's cancer didn't kill him.....Adrian did."

A/N: thanks for reading guys!

Vote and comment.♥️