Prologue

Olivia Denver's POV:

"Wake up, Brownie," I say, rummaging my hands in his hair.

He jolts awake and jumps on his feet. "What happened? Did Voldemort kill Harry?"

"Much worse. Satans have surrounded the Princess and their sharp teeth are shining under the moonlight," I reply.

"You mean you feel sleepy and need coffee?"

I nod positively. He walks towards the kitchen sluggishly. I flip pages of the mission brief and find the first lead, Jack.

Jack is the son of Martin Spencer who has been arrested by cops for killing 5 people. Jack believes his dad is innocent but cops have found all evidence against it.

"You know by Brownie people refer to their pets, especially dogs?" He startles me, advancing a coffee mug towards me.

"I know," I prompt.

His face squeals. "Then you should stop calling me that, Olive."

"And you should stop calling me that," I say, scrunching my nose.

"Ladies first."

"I'll change my gender then."

"No. Don't do that," he says in a bitter tone. Finishing his coffee he walks towards the kitchen. "We'll find another option."

I flip the pages for more reading but my mind stays out of it. The dear Danny Brown has been kind and sweet to me but he was ten times better when he was thinking I was his wife Sarah.

Since the time I've killed a man, my emotions are back. I feel all of it at a heightened level as if it is back with interest. And now I feel jealous of a dead girl. And that sucks.

I eat the food sitting around a round dining table. While he keeps staring at me for the whole time I eat.

"Brownie, I need your car keys," I say, taking the final bite. He points towards the couch in the hall. I stand up and give a peck on his cheek. "Bye."

"I do the cooking, cleaning, and all household work and in return of all, I get what? One kiss?" he asks, still staring at me.

"Oh, you want more?" I place another peck on his cheek and pad towards the door.

"Have you heard a word called cooperation?" His voice goes in my background.

He is a bit weird. He keeps testing my vocabulary. "I don't know. Look in the dictionary app."

I step out of the house. A loud sound of plates crashing comes from inside the room. He is a bit clumsy too.

I ignite the engine and the car breathes fire. I reach Spencer's Bar & Restaurant. Leaning on the bar counter I see a handsome gentleman in blue coat. "I'm Jack. You must be the detective."

"Yes. I'm Olivia Denver. What's your case?"

"Five days ago, a teenage girl had a birthday party here. My dad had left the place at 3 AM but the party was still on. 5 girls were killed, one being our chef Lily."

"What did the cops do?"

"They arrested my dad, tagging him as a psycho." He finishes a whisky and puts the glass on the counter.

"But he's not. Right?"

"Of course not. He just gets in fights with drunk customers sometimes." His grip on the wine glass in hand grows tighter. "But moron cops." The glass breaks in his hand.

Woh! I scratch my words of him being a gentleman. I'll bet more on this son, being a psycho. " Let me see the crime scene," I demand.

A man behind Jack puts a handkerchief on his blooded hand and he turns to him. "Show her."

"I'm Holmes. I'm the manager here," saying the man walks towards a door. He opens it and my eyes get bigger and bewildered.

All the tables of the restaurant are clean and empty except one. A boy is putting a piece of heart-shaped cake in a girl's mouth. "You're gonna love this, babe."

"Is this the crime scene?" I ask.

"Yes ma'am."

"Then why don't I see the dead bodies & blood?" I ask in a stern tone.

"Cause they're not here, Ma'am," replies Holmes calmly.

"THAT I CAN SEE!! Where are they?"

"In custody of cops, Ma'am," he replies very calmly.

This guy is getting on my nerves. "Stop calling me Ma'am & this place a crime scene." I turn towards the door.

"But it is the crime scene, Ma'am."

"And you are a Minion." Stomping out I slam the door behind me.

Getting in the car, I dial Mr. Ralph. "Mr. Ralph, dead bodies are already taken in custody. Should I talk to the cops?"

"We can't do that Ms. Denver. Secrecy is the detective agency's strength."

"Then how do I work this case?"

"You'll need to figure out something."

I hang up and turn on the engine. My mind stays cloudy so I keep the speed very low. An open-roof car honks behind me. I give it a pass.

But the pale teenage driver doesn't go easy. He shows me a finger in a particular way. "Wake up & drive, Granny."

I feel my body heating up as iron and my blood boiling like water. I gotta find a solution to heightened feelings fast.

But first I'm gonna show this moron who I am. I turn the gear to fourth and jump on the accelerator. Eyes super focused on the road, I'm destined to beat the hell out of him.

My phone buzzes. "Can't live without me for a moment, Brownie?" I ask in my sweetest tone.

"Yeah Olive. I just gotta tell you that the car's brakes have been malfunctioning so just drive a bit slow, you know just in case."

"What? You should have got it repaired then."

"I was going to but I forgot."

"Then you should have told me."

"I kinda forgot that too."

I hang up the phone with a frown on my face. A turn appears in front of a cliff before the ocean. I kick the brakes but no luck.

Hola! Olivia Denver is coming.