(25) Family

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

Music filled the hall as Miss Fairweather stood fluffing my dress in preparation of my march down the aisle.

"Oh you look so beautiful Nova!" she said, adjusting my veil one last time, "Ryan's going to cry so hard."

"Ryans not really a cryer," I giggled.

"Trust me honey, if the mans really in love with you he'll at least tear up some," she said as she handed me my bouquet of tulips.

I rolled my eyes playfully as the piano player began to play even louder.

Miss Fairweather jumped and moved to open the doors, "Oh! That's our cue!"

"Miss Fairweather?" I grabbed her attention with a gentle hand on her shoulder, "Thank you. For everything. You'll never realize how much your mentorship meant to me."

She gave me a curt nod, trying desperately to hold back tears.

I laughed as Joel stood at the end of the aisle throwing flower petals everywhere. We said we had needed a flower girl and as a joke he volunteered, but now I'm so thankful he made the mood more casual and fun before I got to the altar.

I was expecting to walk down the aisle myself, but when the doors opened there stood Captain Mitchell who took my arm in his. Tears welled up in my eyes, Skye must have set this up.

"You look great, I'm so proud of you," Captain Mitchell said, tears had begun to form in his eyes as we reached the end of the aisle.

I looked up, and there he was. My future.

~

The rest of the ceremony was beautiful; vows were exchanged, tears were shed, and finally we got to seal our marriage with a kiss. I was officially a Mitchell. Miss Fairweather was right, Ryan definitely cried. He cried when he saw me approaching the altar, he cried saying his vows making me cry as well, and he definitely cried during our first dance. Our first dance was a lot better than the one we shared at the ball, this one more planned and structured as we knew the song we wanted to play. Ryan begged me to choose 'Africa' by Toto but settled for 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls.

Finally the cake cutting took place so everyone could start on food. The banquet hall was packed full of Lightspeed employees that watched us carefully cut into our tiered wedding cake. It was a sweet moment, until Ryan shoved a piece of cake into my face.

I laughed loudly and shoved cake onto his nose. We wiped it off with baby wipes and Skye applied more powder to my face in an attempt to fix the already trashed makeup she had put on me this morning.

Everyone chattered with excitement as champagne was passed around to every legal adult, except Skye and Dana of course. Skye took her place beside me at the head table during the reception with mic in hand, "When I first met Nova, an incredible friendship developed in a matter of minutes. I can't ever remember a time where I couldn't have turned to her with the littlest issue or question I had. She was always there for me in ways that I could never thank her for. I always thought of her sister and I am so incredibly ecstatic that I can officially welcome her into the Mitchell family as a Mitchell herself."

I reached over to join our hands as she continued my speech.

"Nova is the most hardworking and caring person on this planet. Tonight is all about our love for her and the happiness she deserves. From one Mitchell sister to another, I love you with all my heart."

Everyone clapped as I stood up and pulled Skye into a hug, not caring that the tears had ruined my mascara.

Carter clapped Ryan on the shoulder and stood up, "Moving into the Lightspeed Aquabase not only came with a great task but a pleasant experience as well. I haven't been friends with Ryan and Nova for very long. Only about a year. But, anyone in their right mind can see how in love they are with each other. Nova worked with me day on end, training me to be the best I could be. I've never seen someone with such strong will and perseverance when it came to her work. She's kicked my butt on many occasions but we developed a friendship that I am so thankful for." Carter laughed.