He scoffed. "I don't even want to have a graduation party."

I approached him and snatched the phone from his hands. "Yes but your parents are proud for you so at least have the decency to act like you wanted this."

I left his phone on the table and lifted him up before I started to straighten out his clothes using my palms. I felt his hard frame underneath his shirt, he must have been working out lately. He was taller than me so I can't exactly see what his reaction was but when I looked up, I saw him smiling like a big idiot. 

Ignoring his antics I asked him, "Where's your tie?" 

He pointed on a nearest chair. I grabbed the necktie and wrapped it around his neck. I accidentally smelled his cologne in the process. The same one that lingered on my bed.

"You're liking this aren't you?" he said.

I gave a confused stare. "What?"

"Come on, it's obvious." he held my hands. "You find me attractive."

I looked up and squinted at him. The audacity of this guy. "I'm sorry sir but I have to say no." I jerked my hands off his and continued to finish the Windsor knot. After that, I fixed his collar to their proper position.

I almost gasped when he held my chin and lifted it upwards. His face was now inches from me that I can feel his breath on my skin. 

He's got this sly smile on his face. "Admit it. You've got a little crush for me. Look at yourself, your blushing like a virgin." I met his intense gaze. I didn't know if he was actually serious this time or it's just one of his silly jokes. Thankfully, the awkwardness evaporated when we heard someone approaching the room. I immediately pushed his body away from me.

"Richard, darling, what's taking you so long?"  it was his mother. God knows what will be her reaction if she found our faces just inches away from each other.

Richard shrugged as if nothing happened before she entered. "Nothing. I'm all set. Carlton already helped me dressing up." he took his jacket from the chair and wore it before following his mother outside. 

I let out a huge sigh of relief once they left the room.  I loosened my tie a little bit. My throat feels drier than the desert. Damn him with his stupid little jokes. I composed myself by putting on my neutral face before going back to the reception.

"Everything alright dear?" Evelyn asked me out of the blue.

"Yes. I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

A look of concern is painted on her face. "It looks like something's running on your mind. You even look like you've seen a ghost coming out from the house." 

"It's nothing." I dismissed. "This is just my neutral face." I tried to convince her but she looks unsatisfied with my answer so I turned my gaze on the outdoor stage where Richard is currently standing while his parents were giving a heartfelt speech about how proud they are about their son.

Seeing them on the stage looking complete and happy, except for Richard who's expression is equivalent to a stoic sculpture; I cannot avoid but feel a little bit jealous about how their life is going right now.

I never knew my father nor any existing family members if I have any left. My mother was all I got and she was gone. As I grew up, I learned that my mother got pregnant at an early age that she has to discontinue her college education. Additionally, my father was a married man and I was a product of that affair. Bringing shame and disappointment to the family, my mother was disowned by her parents and they refused to support her any longer. She got out of the house and worked odd jobs to raise me until she was hired at the Preston's estate as a stay-in housekeeper where she got the permission to let me stay here.

She never actually told me any of this even before she died but I remember overhearing conversations when she was talking about her personal life to some of her co-workers. I actually never bothered to care about their talk when I was younger but when I got older, I was able to form a picture about my family history and every conversation I heard started to make sense.

I don't have a Facebook profile that's why I barely recognized Richard when he came home. I always reason out that my phone is broken but the truth is, even if I am using a laptop given to me for chores and stuff, I have no plans on creating one. I once tried creating a profile but I immediately deleted it when I realized I have no one. No family, no real close friends. Just people I encounter from day to day.

I felt myself feeling emotional and shit that I decided to take a break. I left the tray I was holding on a nearby table and decided to relax at my favorite place in their manor which is the wooden swing on their back garden. I sat on the chair and closed my eyes trying to enjoy my solitude alone in the darkness, away from the crowd and the noise of rich people's chatter. 

"What are you doing here?" 

I was startled that I almost jumped when I heard Richard's gruff voice. 

"Nothing. I'm on a short break." I replied, my voice quivering. I feel like I just got caught doing something illegal and his intense staring is not helping either.

"Is something bothering you?" he asked.

I laughed nervously. "What?"

"You looked troubled when you left your post."

How did he even? Has he been observing me the whole time he was on stage? I scratched my arm even though there was no itch, it's just something I do when I'm nervous. He's making me nervous for some reason. I never really understood what's on his mind. Is he angry? Concerned? Disappointed? Sometimes I wish I knew.

"I'm fine. I just felt the need to sit down."

He stared at me as if he was scrutinizing my own emotions so I focused my gaze on the ground, on the plain pavement to escape his powerful eyes. I felt him sit beside me. He never said a word and so did I. We just stared at their flowers and plants barely even visible in the dark of night. The cold wooden chair suddenly felt warm with the presence of another human being but it also made me feel like I was burning with the awkwardness of this encounter.

And so I stood up. 

"I have to go back." I declared as a way of asking for his permission to leave. It may have been rude but I started to walk in a rush back to party before I could even know what he would reply. I knew him but he still feels like a stranger to me.