f o r t y : k i n g s

Gwydyr was being torn apart by everything it had built over the centuries.

For all of its power, all of its magic, all of its sovereignty, in the end, it was only a forest. And forests, it seemed, were destined to be destroyed by men.

Gwydyr hadn't always been governed by kings. Once, long ago, it merely existed. It was a light source and not the lightbulb itself, illuminating those who were inside of its beam without having to be turned on or replaced by another entity.

But as myth became a treasure hunt, Gwydyr had been invaded by those who wished to take more than they ever gave.

Humans like kings because they like ownership of something that isn't theirs.

And so the line of Breas had begun. The line of Breas turned into the line of Cellach, the line of Cellach into the line of Fergan, and so on went the history of people who claimed something that wasn't theirs.

Some kings were better than others, making shrines or deeming Gwydyr holy grounds. Others waged war and spilled blood. Some hoarded. Some burned.

For all that time, Gwydyr had fought back. Even after it had been burned and snuffed out of existence for a while, it had found a way to survive.

But now, this was its last stand.

All it could do was watch as the boy born out of bloodshed and raised by the trees led the girl to the amber-colored pond. The pond was the heart of Gwydyr--a heart that was beginning to beat more slowly by the minute.

If trees could speak, as it were, the trees would beg the boy and the girl not to awaken the sleepers. Like anything else, it was easier to awaken than to put back to sleep once again.

Fate was the only mistress that had any say in the game and held all of the pieces that needed to be moved across the board.

Not even Gwydyr knew how this game would end or who its winners would be.

All it could do was wait and place a bet that its new king would choose to die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter is super short! Is anyone else ready for the weekend? I know I am <.<

~General thoughts?

Thanks for reading!