Chapter 13

Olivia Wilde

Every step inside the manor made me feel small.

Every creek made caused my heart to skid.

The plain walls, dressed with cob-webs and cracks reminded me of every indecent moment Richard spent with us.

It took nearly all my strength to keep from falling apart.

My heart ached when I glanced at Daniel. It was very likely that Richard would come back early. It was inevitable that I'd have to leave him. Keegan promised he would make Daniel leave. He was my world, as much I was his. I wanted him safe, where Richard would never touch him.

After securing Clarissa in Keegan's care, I ventured down the hallway to get to Isabella. He kept it quite clear the manner in which our rooms were to be set. Isa had the Duchess room, but he would only visit her when he thought he could conceive with her. I don't understand how his twisted logic thought he could conceive a son, but he would never have a son, not one he could call an heir.

The walls oozed with hatred. It rolled onto the floor in waves of black. No one was posted in the hallway, which was a relief. The hallway seemed to stretch for miles, ending with Isabella's long-awaited door. I opened it carefully, praying that it was only Isa and Miss Verity on the other side. Miss Verity lifted her head, brandishing her empty hands to protect Isa.

"Oliva," She breathed, dropping her hands. "Oh, how wonderful."

I smiled tightly, walking into the room. I never liked Isa's room. It became so much worse since I left. He had put bars on the windows, preventing her to escape. There was evidence of where Isa scratched at the wall. The putrid smell of piss and other excrements filled the room. This was nothing more than a prison meant to kill her. I wouldn't let her sit another minute in it. I moved close to the bed, biting my lip when I laid my eyes on Isa. She had changed so drastically since I had last seen her.

"Isa, my love," I soothed, sitting on the edge of the bed. She was curled into herself, facing the wall. I was too afraid to touch her, for I feared that she would crumble under my hands. "Please, Miss Verity and I are here to take you somewhere safe."

Isabella turned her head, her eyes barely open. Her cheeks were sunken in, making her eyes larger than normal. She was ashen, no longer glowing with natural life. I pressed my palm to her cheek, stroking the jugging bones underneath her eyes. She was so cold, almost on the brink of death.

"Livy," She breathed, weakly bringing her hand to mine. I could feel the tears streaming down my face, but I couldn't control them. This was the first time I hadn't seen her in nearly a year.

"Yes, it's me," I sobbed, moving my hand to cradle her head. "I'm here, I'm real. Keegan brought me here. He's got Clarissa. We're going to bring you somewhere safe." She sighed in relief, her eyes closing gently.

"Take me home." She whispered. Miss Verity climbed on the bed and helped me roll Isa onto her back. Together, we pulled Isa to her feet, holding onto her tightly. After securing her arms aver our shoulders, we slowly made our way from her jail cell. I would never let her return, not as long as I lived.

"Where's your baby?" She whispered, lifting her head slightly. I smiled, stroking her arm lightly.

"She is at my husband's home with her grandparents.

"Husband?"

I blushed, glancing down the long hallway. I knew Keegan had ushered Daniel and Clarissa out to Victor, were she'd be safe. I didn't know what he had or hadn't shared with Isa. From the sound of it, he only shared that I was safe and nothing more.