Don't Marry Him

Alfred's your loving, caring boyfriend.

He's loud, yes, but it's been heard that you thought he made up for his outbursts with small acts of 'adorable' tryhardedness that you had only been able to describe as him.

Renting an entire movie theatre out when he heard that you wanted to see a certain horror film premiering that night, attempting to make you a cake with fireworks when your birthday rolled around -even if it had exploded the cake, it was how he was rumoured to ask you out, oddly enough- and now there was word that he was going to propose to you at a sea park while jumping out of a whale tank, while on said whale, tomorrow afternoon.

That last one had been the last straw for Nikolai.

He had been trying to get you away from that damned American ever since he had heard that you took a liking towards him; everyone knows that he had been asking you to marry him longer than you had even known Alfred.

It just didn't make sense to him why you would prefer someone as obnoxious as him when Nikolai was clearly the better partner.

You weren't being forced to stay with Alfred, despite what his inner thoughts suggested to him -he had offered to quietly take care of the rowdy man when he was certain that it was just the two of you, but you had refused his serious offer with a mere giggle and dismissive wave of your hand as he frowned.

̶A̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶a̶l̶o̶u̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶j̶o̶y̶f̶u̶l̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶a̶r̶d̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶u̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

Alfred wasn't offering you anything that you, or Nikolai for that matter, couldn't get yourself either -Nikolai always checked in with you to confirm that you didn't need anything and that your wants were satisfied, and he made sure to get you flowers every other week, just in time to replace the old ones that he knew would start to wither with time.

̶H̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶s̶h̶ ̶u̶p̶o̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶e̶k̶s̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶r̶i̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶q̶u̶e̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶v̶o̶u̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶w̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶s̶t̶e̶p̶.̶

So why was it that you were with him, when you could be with Nikolai?

It seemed to the Belarusian male that it all boiled down to your preference, and that was something that he knew he couldn't exactly change.

Alfred was out-going, friendly, and overall someone that most people enjoyed being around; Nikolai was more introverted, not known for being kind -especially with all the death threats he sent others who he thought were getting a little too close to you- and had just about everyone but you be deathly afraid of him. Alfred was your boyfriend, while Nikolai was only your best friend.

There was one option he saw left for him, and as much as he hated the thought with an unbelievable passion, he was more than willing to go through with it to keep you from marrying that buffoon of a country.

̶T̶r̶u̶t̶h̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶d̶,̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶

-

"GOOD MORNING, (Y/N)!" the platinum haired man shouted, waving his right hand exageratedly and holding a soda cup that was practically spilling condensation in his left as he forced an artificial, huge curve upon his lips when you opened your front door.

You were clearly dressed in your pyjamas, either having been woken up just now by him, or still lounging around the house seeing as you deemed it too early to be doing anything worth changing; his light amethysts fell to your face as he kept that false, cheery grin, doing his best to imitate the American he more than hated by now as he pushed himself past the doorframe and into your abode -just as he had seen Alfred do many times to Arthur at World Meetings, although he made sure to be gentler with you than your boyfriend had been with his older brother figure.

"HAHAHAHA!" he bellowed the best he could, although it sounded strange on his ears -he couldn't place if that was because it was coming from himself instead of Alfred, or the fact that he had a distinct accent when he copied the dirty blonde, "I GOT MCDONALDS FOR BREAKFAST!!"

He had started to make his way to your kitchen, but stopped dead in his tracks when he heard something coming from your direction, "Oh my God...!" you bursted out in guffaws that were only slightly retained behind your hold, "Nikolai, what... what are you doing?"

Tears crept up in the corners of your pools of (E/C) as you nearly doubled over, the light eyebrow of the Belarusian irking upwards smally and smile faltering as he tried his best to stay in character, "What do you mean?!" he tried, although it was noticably weaker this time as he lightly panicked and internally stumbled over what he should say next -making sure to put the force back in his speech, "I-I'M THE HERO!"

Taking steps closer, you only shook your head and hugged the man tight -burrying your head into his chest while still letting out a few chuckles every now and then as he froze for a moment; it was only when he processed what you were doing that he put down the drink in his hands and cursed that he was stuck with greasy burgers in his pocket as he received what he had been longing for, for quite a while now. Slender arms wrapped around you and settled on your waist, breathing in your scent as he sighed in bliss; this was all he wanted, he just wished to marry you so the two of you could spend more moments like these together, and maybe start a family one day if you were up for it.

Why couldn't you see that and choose him over Alfred?

Pulling back smally, you connected your sight to his eyes -a kindhearted tenderness present within them as you asked, "Now, are you going to tell me what that was all about?"

"I did it so you would like me, so you won't want to do it." he grunted out softly, looking away for a second before he pulled you back closer to him as you had been before.

"Won't want to do what, Nik?" came your slightly muffled sound, light in nature and soon followed by, "Oh c'mon, you can tell me!" as encouragement when he didn't reply.

"Marry him." he reiterated, "Don't marry Alfred."

At this point, Nikolai didn't even care that he was ruining your surprise; it wasn't much of a good one in his opinion anyways.

Startled, you placed your palms on his tan coat and pushed yourself back enough to partially leave his hold, "Marry...?"

"Yes, he's going to ask this afternoon." he blunty answered, not liking that you seemed to be having some sort of reaction to what he was saying -Nikolai had been hoping that you wouldn't have thought anything of it, even if he realised that that was unrealistic.

"Why would he ask me to marry him when we're not even dating...?"

The gears started to turn in the blonde's head, pointing violet directly into you as he had to make sure that he was in the clear, "Does that mean if he does, you say no?"

"Of course, I don't want to marry him. I d-...!"

The Belarusian cut you off as he placed his lightly chapped lips on yours more malleable ones, kissing you gently and softly as you slowly sank into the embrace as well -your arms snaked their way up around his neck, pulling him a little bit closer to you as he let out a breath of relief through his nose that he didn't know he was holding.

Nikolai wasn't quite sure what your situation with Alfred was just yet, but he knew that -based on your reaction to what he just did- he didn't have anything to worry about in that regard.

̶H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶

🎉 You've finished reading 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝙷𝚒𝚖//ɴɪᴋᴏʟᴀɪ ᴀʀʟᴏᴠꜱᴋɪ 🎉