˗ˋ 49

CHAPTER FORTY  NINE

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH THE FEAST
KICKS OFF

. . .

Marlie leaned back a little in her seat to wring out her hair, hands enclosed around the ponytail of dark hair as water dripped out of it. Harry was emptying his shoes, Hermione was still massaging her neck, and Ron had a look of disgust on his face as he tried to squeeze water out of his jumper.

Nearly Headless Nick floated over to them, the Gryffindor ghost as transparent as ever, the lacy ruff of his formal collar a shade of pearl. Of course, it made him look particularly festive, but also shared the purpose of making sure his partially-severed head wasn't wobbling too much, as it had a tendency to scare the first years.

"Good evening." He looked around the group and their sopping clothing as if they had just wandered in from a stroll in the grounds during a sunny day. 

Harry wrinkled his nose as he looked up at him, eyeing the the sever in his neck. "Says who?" He asked, replacing his shoe and taking off the other, adding to the puddle forming on the floor. Harry turned towards his friends as they all took a seat. "Hope they hurry up with the Sorting. I'm starving."

"Do you think the candles give off any heat at all?" Marlie ignored his comments as she directed her gaze up to the ceiling, dark hair falling from her head and dripping down onto the floor. "Or are they purely decorative?"

"Well I read in Hogwarts: A History that-" Hermione began, but Ron rolled his eyes.

"Nobody's read that but you, Hermione, I think we've established that far too many times." The Weasley shook his head, his gaze turned down the table. "Marlie, Harry, your fans are looking."

"We don't have fans." Harry grit his teeth as Ron laughed, both twins leaning down the table to see a highly-excited Colin Creevey waving rapidly at them, his camera around his neck and banging into the table as he waved.

"Hi Colin." The twins chimed, Marlie even going so far as to wave back, both sharing the same, slightly awkward smile on their faces as they greeted him. 

"Guess what!" Colin exclaimed, blinking several times in the pause clearly left there for dramatic purpose. "Guess what Harry, Marlie? My brother's starting! My brother Dennis!"

"Oh, that's really good, Colin." Marlie took the lead in replying to him, as she usually did. As much as his excitable nature could get on her nerves, he really was a good kid and deserved to be treated as such. 

"He's really excited!" Colin replied, practically bouncing up and down in his seat. "I just hope he's in Gryffindor! Keep your fingers crossed?"

"Yeah - we will do." Harry nodded, swallowing as he and Marlie turned bacl to Ron and Hermione, as well as Nearly Headless Nick, who hadn't appreciated Harry's sarcastic reply to his greeting as much as the others. "Brothers and sisters usually go in the same Houses, don't they?" The Potter boy glanced at Ron and Marlie, considering for a moment.

That did seem to be the case - the twins hadn't been seperated in the Sorting, and neither had any of the Weasleys. Not even Percy, who had the ambition of the Slytherin and the wit and attitude of a Ravenclaw.