Never Trust The Wind

Theodore Nott's POV

Something was definitely wrong and I had a few reasons as to guess why. First reason being yesterday morning. Draco and Pansy claimed to be in the back room of the Hospital Wing getting Draco an x-ray for his head. But when Blaise and I had checked, I had knocked on the door and nobody had answered. Maybe the timing of the two events were different but Blaise and I had checked only an hour later.
My second reason: Draco may be a good lier, but he was in too much pain to put all his effort into lying last night. He was paler than usual, his eyes were sunken and stormy, he could barely keep himself standing without holding the wall and his lips were quivering. Every time he shifted his body he winced or groaned or sighed quietly. How did I know? Because he was doing those exact things right now, during breakfast.
My third reason: Pansy has never been so quiet. Now I wasn't with Pansy and Draco for the first two years or school- I only came to Hogwarts in third year. But for the long time that I've known her, she's never been so closed off and silent. She hadn't said a word to Blaise and I since last night, and even then she hadn't been talking much. And fourthly: If Draco had fallen and gotten a concussion, he shouldn't really be up and running right now. Concussions are more serious than people let on, trust me, I'd know from experience.

Now I know it's not my place to question Draco or Pansy, I know the shit they've been through. But when something is so obviously bothering them that they have to lie to Blaise and I about it? That's when I draw the line.

Blaise nudged my arm, which I hadn't noticed had been floating mid-air holding a spoon full of what was now soggy Korn flakes. "What's the matter?" He whispered, taking a bite of his French toast. I shook my shoulders, ate three scoops of cereal before burping. Blaise glared at me. "Sorry," I snickered. "Anyway, I'm just worried, that's all," I whispered and his gaze fell. "So am I." He replied, glancing at Draco and Pansy who were eating their breakfast dejectedly.
"So what happened with the Golden Trio earlier?" I asked and Pansy and and Draco both looked up simultaneously, their eyes wide. Draco coughed. "They saw the whole thing. With-uh, with Peeves. I'd be running around naked if Potter hadn't shooed the prick off." He stated. Draco frowned at his apple, licking his lips. My eyebrows rose. "Potter helped you? That's a new one." I chuckled heartily and Pansy hid a smile from Draco who was glaring at me. I winked at him and he sneered at me.

"What do you guys think McGonagall's postponed school for?"

I turned to Blaise and he shrugged, wiping syrup off his mouth with a napkin. "They'll probably tell us at diner or something-" Pansy started, which startled me. I frowned for a fraction of a second. "It's probably nothing important." Draco insisted, glaring at Pansy. They seemed to have a silent argument, and by the look of Pansy's face- Draco had won. I closed my eyes, drank the remaining milk from my bowl and shook my shoulders. "See you three in the common room?" I asked and they all nodded, bidding me goodbye.

Unlike most people at Hogwarts, I didn't really have a designated place so to speak. Yes, Pansy, Draco and Blaise were my best friends. Hell, Blaise is the longest friend I've ever had. But I like moving around, like my family. Coming to Hogwarts in third year disadvantaged me for many things, including making friends. Other houses made being sorted into Slytherin a terrible thing that everyone should avoid. But I didn't feel that way. In fact, I liked the challenge of making friends with other houses. I'd started building Slytherin's reputation into a better one, a happier one, if you will. Because of this, I've got friends in every house in ever year. But wherever I go, whichever friend groups I flit between, I always hover back to Draco, Blaise and Pansy. They're my family, the only ones I've got left.

Yeah, I grew up in a family of Death Eaters, but I didn't let that run my life. So I ran away. I wasn't as brave as Draco. I wasn't brave enough to stand with my parents and fight in the war. Instead, I hid away and didn't come back until I got a letter from Blaise telling me that the three of them were going back for Eighth year. That letter had been the best news I'd gotten since leaving America for Hogwarts...

I speed walked down the corridors, waving and smiling at people as I went. I got the occasional "Hey Theo," or "Morning, mate," which widened my smile. I had never really been a people person, but from how I'd seen other people react to other Slytherins, I was doing a pretty swell job.

But my smile faded when I tripped on something long and dark. My instincts kicked in immediately and before I hit the ground, I rolled and got back up, flipping my hair out my face somewhat dramatically. I turned around to find Harry Potter staring at me wide eyed with his mouth ajar. I narrowed my eyes at the Firebolt I'd tripped on.

"You've set that thing down like you wanted to trip someone," I chuckled, picking it up and handing it to him. He didn't do anything for a while, until I poked his chest that is. He blinked mad snatched it back. "Sorry, Nott. Just got back from practice," he stated airily, sweat making his circular glasses fog up. I rose an eyebrow, smiling. "None of that 'Nott' nonsense. Call me Theo. Nott's my father," I joked and was shocked when he reciprocated, laughing with me. "Where were you off to in such a rush?" He asked and I shrugged, scratching the back of my neck. "Uh, I don't know." I admitted and he frowned, shouldering his broom. "You don't know?" He repeated and I nodded, looking around. "I go where the wind takes me, Potter. In this case, it led me here and I nearly fell. I'm never trusting the wind again." I glowered and he laughed again, his eyes closed. "Well, we met, didn't we? The wind can't be all wrong." He smirked, shifting his weight. I stared at him, grinning. "Yeah, I guess so." I whispered, thinking hard.

Harry Potter was an odd person. I had never spoken to him before in my life. I'd never had any encounters with him. We'd barely even glanced at each other in the hallway. I was slowly wishing I had payed more attention to him before, not like he really needed it. Being the Savior of the Wizarding World and all, he probably gets more attention than any decent human being would want. Maybe my not noticing him did him a favour?

"Trip on my broom another time?" He asked, an unusual glint in his bright green eyes. I grinned again. "It would be my pleasure, Potter," I said and he tutted me, walking away backwards to face me. "It's Harry. Potter's my father!" He yelled and I laughed just as he turned the corner, his own laughter dying behind him.

Gaining the friendship of Harry Potter was great and all, but there was one advantage that as much as I hated to think about- began tickling at the back of my mind the minute he left. If I asked him what really happened with Draco and Pansy this morning, would he lie? Now that we were acquainted, it wouldn't be weird if I randomly stopped him in the hallway to ask about my friends. But I didn't want to do that. I wouldn't want to take advantage of my newfound friendship with him. I trust Pansy and Draco. And for whatever reason they haven't been telling Blaise and I the truth, it was probably a good one. That was my hope at least. Slytherin may be the 'scariest' house in Hogwarts, but we're more than a bunch of smart, pompous jerks with daddy issues. Slytherins are loyal to one another. We're a family. And as I said earlier, Draco, Blaise and Pansy are the only ones I've got left. I wouldn't want to loose them because my idiot brain likes figuring things out. I read people too easily and the ability has nearly cost me my life. I wouldn't do that again. Especially if my curiousness get Blaise hurt in the mix... Again-

Now you may be wondering, Theo? All these weird hints to your past are pretty strange. Well, they're only strange if you hear it from someone else's point of few. Only Blaise knows what truly happened in my younger years, the reason I moved from Ivlemorny to Hogwarts. Of course he does, he was there with me. But I doubt any of us want to remember those first two years of school. Don't get me wrong, Ivlemorny is a great Wizarding school but...
With my aggravating ability to figure things out before I'm told, and with Blaise's heritage...

Let's just say it was a bit messy...