Dreams

Draco Malfoy's POV

I don't think I'd ever fallen asleep so quickly in my life. The minute I crawled into my heated sheets a wave of tiredness hit me so hard I closed my eyes and didn't open them for what I thought was a long time.

Now I didn't have the privilege, or misfortune of having dreams. Or nightmares. But tonight, for some reason, I had both...

I stood in the middle of a vast field. It looked almost exactly like the field in the Room of Requirements where I had changed for the first time. I looked around. The sky was setting slowly, orange and purple gradually becoming dark navy. Very little stars shown, but they were still there. But there was one thing that stood out the most. The field was coated in snow. Not an inch of green shown out of the blanket of snow. What looked like dozens of platinum ice spikes the size of apartment buildings shot out of the ground. Covering the trees in quilts of white and pale blue.

I looked around some more, trying to make sense of what I was seeing. I wasn't cold, though the wind whipped at my hair, my fingers and nose seemed covered in a light dusting of frost. But I didn't feel it.

Suddenly, my eyes caught something glistening in the corner. It was an ice spike reflecting the light of the sun. I walked closer to it and gasped.

Harry Potter was trapped inside, standing with his wand out and ready to fight.

I blinked and backed away from the stalagmite, walking towards another. Dread filled my lungs when I saw Weasley and Granger in this one. Weasley had fallen, Granger crouching over him. Their frozen forms blurred by the ice.

I continued on in the museum of stulptures.

I neared another ice spike and this time, my heart did a double take.

Theo had frozen as if he were running towards something. A sheer look of determination on his iced face. I touched the ice closest to his cheek and hissed. It burnt to the touch.

I turned in the direction Theo had been running to and suddenly, I did start feeling cold. Theo had been running towards Pansy who had fallen and was shading her eyes, trying to see something in front of her. She face away from Theo, eyes squinted, face terrified. I thought I could see tears in her eyes but it was probably the ice distorting my vision.

I wheeled around and focused on what was scaring her so much and if I hadn't already felt terrible, I felt like I'd swallowed my heart.

Before frozen Pansy and I stood the largest of the ice spikes. It was the size of half of the Quidditch field. Inside it, blue and white hummed with magic and I realized there was a dragon inside. Me...

And I was trying to get out.

Suddenly, I realized that just in front of the dragon shaped block of ice, a smaller one stood connected to it.

I knew whose statue it was before I even got to it.

Blaise stared up at me with the same scared expression on his face that I'd left him with when I went to bed.
He was standing, staring up at me with worried eyes. I almost thought his eyes glowed against the light, like the humming of magic coursing through my own body as I sat frozen in the ice. But I couldn't tell. Seeing my friends -minus the Golden Trio whome I didn't even know why they were in my dreams- hurt like this brought tears to my eyes I hadn't even noticed I'd been trying to surpress.

As I had done with Theo, my hand found its way to the ice closest Blaise's cheek, but the minute I touched its surface it burst.

It all burst...

Every single ice sculpture of my friends burst with such force I was shot backwards. Millions of smaller spikes began drowning me and I couldn't break free. I was being consumed by my own magic, the ice burning against my body made me scream. My throat felt dry and sore and my body was too exhausted to keep fighting. So I sat there and let myself sink into my own insecurities.

Just as the last light from the navy sky had been covered by harsh, dark ice, my vision blurred and the nightmare changed.

This time I was sitting in the Slytherin common room. The clock above the mantel  read 11:59. Almost midnight. I sat on the longest couch, Theo next to me, smirking, his legs crossed. In front of me, Blaise sat on an emerald arm chair and next to him, sitting on a side table was Pansy, staring at eight cards in her hands smugley. Theodore put his card into he growing pile and I sighed, placing a card afterwards.

"Is there a reason we're playing Crazy Eights in the dead of the night?" Pansy asked as we all watched Blaise place a Queen of hearts. Pansy groaned and picked up a card, adding it to her pile. Theo sniggered and the game continued. "You know it's our tradition Pan-Pan," Theo said and Pansy glared at him. "Don't call me that stupid nickname ever again, Thee-Thee," she snapped back and Theo grimaced. A sour look in his face. I laughed and put down a card. Only three moves left and I'd win the game. Blaise suddenly smirked to himself, a bright light shining in his eyes as he placed his next card. I narrowed my eyes on him. "As long as you don't start calling me Blay-Blay please do continue. I believe it's your move, Pan-Pan." He said, hiding a smile and Pansy glared daggers at all of us when we all began laughing. My turn came and I won. Theo whistled in appreciation whereas Pansy groaned and Blaise merely picked all the cards up and began shuffling them again.

"Go fish?" Theo asked and I grinned. "I hope you know I'm going to win too?" I asked and he mocked me, rolling his eyes. "Not this time." He scowled.

I smirked.

"Keep dreaming, Thee-Thee."

Blaise snorted and I laughed. Pansy smiled such a bright smile the fire in the grate burned bright yellow and warmth filled my body. Theo threw his cards at me and I dodged, laughing harder. His grin made mine ever wider as the four of us played around with no care in the world.

The laughter was drowned out however, by the dream changing once again.

This time, I stood in the middle of my home, Malfoy Manor. The foyer was dark and barron, sad looking. I recognized the atmosphere of the house. It was often like this during the days when Voldermort romed its corridors, talking aimlessly to his pet snake, Nagini.

I was never in the house back then. Always finding some reason to be outside whether it was to sketch the sunset or feed my peacock, Astoria. Whome I had named after one of my longest friends who lay sick in bed with pneumonia.

I sat on the dry grass with bird feed in my left hand, tossing it up and down. The white peacock trotted over to me and began nibbling. One Astoria's lunch was done, I lay flat on the ground and sighed, staring up at the bleek grey sky. My mother had often told me my eyes mirrored the sky. When it was a good day with bright blue skies, I had bright blue eyes. The same thing applied on days like this. I suspected my eyes looked molten grey.

High in the sky, my eyes caught sight of a dark silhouette casting a shadow above the Manor. I knew what it was immediately. Or more rather- who it was.

A large sleek body with navy scales turning lighter in colour until the tip of the creatures spike barbed tail was white.

It had menacing stormy eyes. Similar to my own, but angrier. Older. Tireder.

The creature landed on the ground with a thud and I scrambled off the grass, dusting myself off. The dragon glared at me and I gulped, bowing. It shifted its weight, covered itself with its wings and soon, only my father, Lucius Malfoy remained.

"Father." I greeted carefully.

He stalked up to me, his eyes sunken and dark. I didn't stop bowing when he picked out a blade of grass from my hair, inspecting it as if it were dust on his shoe.

"Upstairs, now. You're mother and I have much to discuss with you, Draco." He said sternly and I stood to my full height, nodding. He narrowed his eyes and I gulepd, feeling stupid for my mistake. I used my words.

"Yes, father."

I began to tremble. This one hadn't been a dream. I remembered  this day. The day my parents had told be I was going to become a Death Eater...

. . .

I gasped and sat up with a jolt, immediately regretting it when my stomach clenched. Someone pushed me back into my pillows which were drenched in sweat. My heart beat rapidly and I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I reached for my wand, sitting on my beside table and croaked, "Lumos!"