𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

ابدأ من البداية

"Great. You would know if you visited me more often, but you have better things to do." Kate's fingers wrapped around a glass of wine and took a sip, looking directly at her daughter.

Cora pressed her lips together and slowly exhaled through her nose before sitting on the bed, making herself comfortable,

"There's been something I've been meaning to tell you for a few months now. I could've sent it through an owl, but it's better if I tell you in person."

"So you didn't come visit because you wanted to know how your mother has been? You came to simply tell me something and leave right after you've gotten it off your chest, correct?"

Her eyes drop to the white bed comforter and she nods her head — an action she forgot her mother hated when being spoken to.

"I've gone over this with you before. Answer with your words and not your head." Kate snarled as she shook her head in disapproval.

Cora lifted her head and answered her question with words this time, "Yes, mother."

Kate took another sip, "So what have you been meaning to tell me for months?"

The brunette grew nervous and began to fidget with her fingers, "Have you seen dad after —"

Kate dropped the glass hard against the table and interrupts, "Don't go there, Cora."

"We have to go there — like it or not. Have you seen him?"

"Get out of the room." She uttered, her tone dryer than the usual.

"Just answer the fucking question! Have you seen him?"

Her mother shifted from the bed and towered over her child. "No, Cora! I haven't seen your father since he left me!"

Cora's body jerked back at the sudden movement and swallows, being careful how she words the following.

"I've seen him. Many times now, mother. He's not dead. He's alive."

Kate stayed silent. She was left speechless.

Her husband was alive — and he hadn't visited her. Hadn't given her a reason for leaving her behind with their child.

"He's alive, but he's a different person. And not in a good way." Cora continued. "Are you sure he hasn't been here? He hasn't payed you a visit?"

"Where is he?"

"Answer my question. Has he hurt you? Has he done anything to you?"

"Where's your father?"

Cora sighed, irritated that her mother wasn't listening to her, "I don't know. Please answer my question. Has he been here?"

Kate couldn't hear Cora. As soon as she mentioned her father being near — she blocked every living and non-living thing around her.

Her husband was close.

He'd almost make it home.

He'd finally be home with her.

"Help me clean, Cora. Get your friend to help as well. The house is filthy dirty — it needs to be clean."

The brunette's brows furrowed as her lips frowned, trying to refrain from crying.

Why couldn't her mother make things easier and listen to her for the first time in a decade? How hard could it be to place her attention on her daughter instead of her long gone husband who didn't care about them?

"I'm not going to help. Neither is Finn. He's not coming home, mom. It's time for you to accept it."

In the blink of an eye, Kate lifted her from the bed by grasping onto Cora's shoulder. "Tell your friend to help us clean, Cora. Listen to your mother's orders."