Chapter 63 • Chief

Start from the beginning

"It's a big deal for everybody, in some way or another," Anne says and I agree with a nod. "Now where would you like to sit?"

"The chair is just fine. It's out of the way so I won't be in the way." As Anne helps me over to the chair, both she and Harry go on about how I'm not in the way and it makes me regret my words.

"Would you like a pillow for your back?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks." With one hand on my belly, I awkwardly bend my body and use my free hand to help ease the impact of sitting and I exhale a breath. "Whew, okay, that's better."

"Do you need anything else, love? I can get you some more Ginger Ale," Harry offers and I look over at him with a smile.

"That's sweet, but I'm not thirsty at the moment."

"Did you two eat breakfast? That might be the culprit for your nausea," Anne interjects. "I can whip up some porridge in a jiffy. That always helped settle my tummy when I was pregnant with both Gemma and Harry."

"Aw, that's sweet, but I'm actually not hungry either. Harry helped me cook toast and beans a little while ago."

"That sounds delicious. I'm sure my grandbabies enjoyed that feast."

"Mhm, they sure did," I grin, patting my hand on my belly. "Did you eat breakfast? We can heat it up for you if you'd like."

"That's lovely of you to offer, but I already had my coffee. I work better on an empty stomach."

"That's right. I remember you saying that before," I muse out loud and she hums in agreement. "Well, do we want to start loading the car? Should we pack ours first?"

"I don't think it matters which vehicle, but we can start with yours. Are these all of the suitcases?"

I glance past Anne and mentally count each one, "There should be six total. Babe, what did you do with the big one?"

"Uhm, I think it's still in the bedroom. It doesn't have wheels for you to maneuver and it was too heavy for me to use my white cane. Mum, I think you and I can get it, though."

"We can try and not to worry, if we can't, I'm sure Michal would be happy to swing by and get it for us after his shift."

I groan at her words, "I'd hate to ask him to do that after he's worked all day."

"It's no problem, love," Anne reassures. "I spoke with Gemma last night and she said they will help in any way they can. So have your worries brush their teeth and tell them to go to bed."

"Alright," I agree with a sigh. "I guess I literally have no choice but to accept help from others now."

"That's right, love," Harry says and even through his dark sunnies, I can tell he's giving all of his attention to me in this moment. "Okay, let's get started. JJ, you're the Mover In Chief, so you tell us which bags will go first and what to take and Mum and I will load the cars."

"But I can help bring stuff out to the car."

"Ah, but that's the beauty of being Mover In Chief, you don't have to do that. Right, Mum?"

"Oh yes, that's absolutely right," Anne grins a winning smile, pulling her hair up into a high ponytail. "Now, which one would you prefer us to get first, Chief?"

I shake my head with a smile, "Fine; the wheely suitcases are filled with our clothes and shoes. The duffle bag is our toiletries, so it's more fragile. My pregnancy pillow is that thing wrapped in the garbage bags and sealed with duct tape. The copy paper box is all of the pregnancy books. That's my work bag with my computer, and the smallest suitcase is Maggie's things and food and Romeo and Juliet's food. That reminds me that our food is in the cooler."

"Sounds like you two are very organized."

"Yeah, I wanted to make this move as easy as possible for you and whoever helped us."

"Wonderful and thoughtful. So I guess we'll go from heavy to lightest, to most delicate, meaning Romeo and Juliet's fish tank, which I think it would be best if someone could hold onto it while I'm driving."

"I should be able to do that," I offer.

"We can try it out first," Anne says as if to placate my desire to feel needed. "Harry, love, if you'll carry the toiletry bag, I'll start wheeling one of these bad boys out."

"Sure thing, Mum. You're gonna stay with JJ, alright, Maggie? Be a good girl," he coos, petting her head.

Harry gets up from the couch and walks over to the entry way with the help of his white cane. Anne says his name, placing her hand on his shoulder and she slowly guides his hand down to the bag's handles. Once he has it fitted on his shoulder, she pops out the handle of the suitcase and opens the door.

"We'll be right back," Anne looks over at me with a smile and I quickly put a smile on for her.

"Okay. Maggie and I will be right here waiting." As soon as they're out the door, I exhale a heavy breath and relax into the chair. With my hands framing my belly, I look down and my vision becomes blurry. "It'll be okay, babies. This is for the best. It's not defeat. It's necessary."

A warm tear slips from my eye and drops onto my belly, creating a small wet mark on my blouse. I swallow harshly, willing myself to stop crying because I know Harry and Anne will make a big fuss over me when they come back. It might be a sad day for my ego, but I don't want to draw attention to myself.

I blow out a calming breath, wiping underneath my eyes and I push myself up to stand. Maggie perks up and watches me from her spot and I put my finger on my lips.

"Don't tell Harry or Gramma, okay?"

Shaking my head with a smile, I waddle over to the suitcases and push the next one closer to the door. Thanks to the wheels and the hardwood flooring, it's easier than I thought it would be.

Distant laughter coming from outside the door startles me and I waddle as fast as I can over to the kitchen. Their voices become clearer and I notice Harry and Anne walk inside the flat.

"What are you doing there, Chief?" Anne slyly asks.

"Oh, uhm, I was just getting something to drink. Would anyone else like something? We have water, Ginger Ale and seltzer."

"Let me get it for you, love. You should be sitting down," Harry says with worry in his voice as he walks over to me with the help of his white cane.

"I can stand long enough to get myself something to drink."

He stops in front of me, raising his eyebrows, "I know you can, but you don't have to. Please sit down and let me get it for you."

"If I do that, will you stop nagging me?"

"Yes," he smirks, holding out his hand and I roll my eyes into a smile as I shake it.

"Deal."

"Deal. Now give me a kiss and go sit down, please," he says and I lean in to peck his lips.

"You're the best husband in the world and I love you."

"Mm, I love you and I mean this in the kindest way possible; go sit your arse down now."

"You owe a dollar in the swear jar."

He smirks, "Gladly. Now would you like some Ginger Ale?"

"Yes, please."***

A/N: Hello, fam 🙋‍♀️ how are ya? It's almost Friday which means it's almost the weekend. Can I get a woot woot?!?!?!?!

Much Love.
❤️❤️❤️❤️