Chapter 5

"Mom?" Poppy couldn't believe her eyes. Her mother had died only days after she had hatched. "Mom?" she repeated dumbstruck.

Slowly, Poppy's mom stepped towards her, and she realized she wasn't the mother she had known before...

Her face was covered in scars, and her arm was completely gone.

She raised her one remaining arm, and put it on Poppy's shoulder.

Tears came to the little troll's eyes, as she looked at her mom. The troll she had been longing to see since she had died almost four years ago.

Poppy quickly wrapped her arms around her mother, letting her sobs be heard.

"I... I missed you," she cried, as she hugged her mother for the first time in her life. "I love you so much, mom."

Out of nowhere, Poppy's mom stepped back, away from her daughter. Poppy looked at her confused, not understanding why she had pulled away from the hug. "Mom?"

She slowly backed up, back into the light, as it grew brighter, concealing her face once again. Though she couldn't see her face, Poppy could tell her mother was smiling at her, crying slightly.

"It's not your time, sweetie," her mother's voice said softly.

Slowly the light began to dim again, Poppy's mom fading away with it, until nothing but blackness surrounded the young troll once again.

"Mom? Mom!"

She ran forwards, suddenly bumping into a wall.

Quickly, she turned, but immediately ran into another wall.

"Mom!" she cried out. "Dad!" She turned running into yet another wall. "Mommy! Daddy! Where are you!?"

Surrounded by walls, the little pink troll looked up at the black sky.

     The beeping suddenly filled her ears once again, as a sharp pain shot through her chest.

She collapsed to her knees, looking at the floor.

Slowly, she looked back up, noticing that she was back in the hospital.

The doctors looked at her body sadly, as they pulled a blanket over her head, and turned off the machine, the beeping immediately dyeing out.

"NOOO!" Poppy's dad screamed, as he tried to run towards his daughter, but the doctors held him back, as he fell to his knees, crying.

"DAD!" Poppy screamed out, running towards him.

"Daddy! Daddy please! What's happening!?" she asked, trying to hug her father, but her arms went right through him. "D... daddy?"

Suddenly Poppy fell onto her back, another sharp pain shooting through her.

"AHHH!" she screamed out in pain. "Daddy! Help me!" she cried out, struggling to keep her eyes open, as she stared at her devastated father.

Slowly, the world around her became dark, her eyes falling shut.