Chapter 3

Another boom caused Branch to wake up once more. He looked around, panting heavily in fear, finally realizing he was back in his room.

     He cringed at the thought of his mother and what had happened to her. It was his fault. If he had just listened...

     Tears came to his eyes, as he began to cry hysterically.

     "MOM!" he shrieked out, even though he knew she couldn't hear him. Not anymore...

     Creek jumped out of his sleep at the sound of the scream, looking up at the little grey troll, as he sat in his bed wailing in sorrow.

     Quickly, Creek jumped to his feet, climbing up into the bed with Branch.

"Branch..." he whispered, hugging him comfortingly. "It's okay. It was just a dream," he said softly, trying to make the young troll feel better, as he stroked his back gently.

     "It... it wasn't a dream!" Branch cried out, hugging him back. "It's my fault! It's all my fault!"

     Suddenly, the door flew open, banging into the wall.

"What is going on in here!" the orphanage director yelled, as she emerged out of the darkness of the hall. She glared at Branch, her hands on her hips, as he continued to cry. "What did I tell you would happen if you woke me up one more time, boy!?"

"It was an accident, Mrs. Hemingway," Creek said in Branch's defense. "It was another bad dream. It won't happen again. I promise."
"That's what you said last night. And the night before that. And the night before that!"
"It's just the storm ma'am. It brings back painful memories for him. You know that."
"I don't care. I just want sleep!"

Branch looked up at her, drying his tears away, as he slowly began to calm down a bit.

     "He's only four, ma'am," Creek said softly, still hugging Branch comfortingly. "It's not his fault."

     Mrs. Hemingway looked at Branch angrily, her nose scrunched up a bit.

     By this time all the other kids in the orphanage had gathered around the doorway, watching to see what would happen next.

"Fine," Mrs. Hemingway finally said. "I'm giving you one last chance, and if you make even one little sound..." She paused for suspense. "You'll be going in the hole." Then she turned, sending the others running back into their rooms, as she slammed the door shut.

Her footsteps slowly faded down the hall, as the two boys stared at the door.

     Finally, Creek looked at Branch, and sighed. He opened his mouth, as if to speak, but then closed it without a single word, shaking his head.

     Slowly, he turned climbing back into his own bed.

Branch sat there, staring at him, as he made himself comfortable, before falling back to sleep.

     "Creek?" Branch whispered, but there was no reply.

     The little grey troll looked out the window, the storm settling down, turning into a quiet pitter patter on the windowsill.

     Finally, Branch lay back down with a sigh, closing his eyes to go back to sleep.