19:١٩ | the champions

Start from the beginning

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. "Two Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions — or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"
He gave a short and nasty laugh.

"C'est impossible," said Madame Maxime. "Ogwarts cannot 'ave two champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."

"It's no one's fault but Potter's, Karkaroff," said Snape softly. "Don't go blaming Dumbledore for Potter's determination to break rules —"

"He didn't submit his name" Malak cut him, now visibly angered. She just couldn't stand his accusation.

"And how do you know, Gheit?" Retorted Snape, "for all we know, you could have been helping him—"

"Thank you, Severus," said Dumbledore firmly, and Snape went quiet immediately.

Dumbledore was now looking down at Harry, who looked right back at him, trying to discern the expression of the eyes behind the half-moon spectacles.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" he asked calmly.

"No," said Harry.

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Goblet of Fire for you?" said Professor Dumbledore.

"No," said Harry vehemently.

"Ah, but of course 'e is lying!" cried Madame Maxime.

"Malak?" Dumbledore inquired. "I presume you've read his mind — legilimens?"

"And we are going to take her word for it!?" Karkaroff scoffed. "If I head correctly her name is Aboul Gheit — we should be wary of her given her... ancestry."

"She comes from a noble Egypzian 'ouse, sir" Fleur spoke much to Malak's surprise. "Zey are know for zeir neutrality."

"Of course," laughed Karkaroff. "It is not the Egyptian side I'm worried about..."

How on Earth does he know about my dad? thought Malak, her face contorting in a worried expression.

"Her grandfather fought alongside mine in the Global Wizarding War" Viktor spoke, surprising the Egyptian again and Karkaroff along with her. "Questioning her family's integrity will be questioning mine as well. And I won't allow it, Professor Karkaroff."

That seemed to undoubtedly shut Durmstrang's headmaster, who retreated as a wounded dog next to his champion.

"Mr. Crouch... Mr. Bagman," said Karkaroff, still a bit appalled by Viktor's reaction "you are our — er — objective judges. Surely you will agree that this is most irregular?"

Bagman wiped his round, boyish face with his handkerchief and looked at Mr. Crouch, who was standing outside the circle of the firelight, his face half hidden in shadow. He looked slightly eerie, the half darkness making him look much older, giving him an almost skull-like appearance. When he spoke, however, it was in his usual curt voice.

"We must follow the rules, and the rules state clearly that those people whose names come out of the Goblet of Fire are bound to compete in the tournament."

"Well, Barty knows the rule book back to front," said Bagman, beaming, as though the matter was now closed.

"I insist upon resubmitting the names of the rest of my students," said Karkaroff. "You will set up the Goblet of Fire once more, and we will continue adding names until each school has two champions. It's only fair, Dumbledore."