C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-T H R E E

Start from the beginning

"I would no longer call this medical bay a sterile environment." Tech pointed out.

"I have to agree with Wired-Brain," I arched my neck up as I scanned the ruptured ceiling panels with my own light. "For all intended purposes, I'd say we have a better chance of attracting—"

"Would you prefer to use the facility on Kamino?" Rex interrupted with a raised brow. 

Tech and I exchanged a look before replying in unison, "This will do nicely", ultimately agreeing with the captain. On my right, I watched Wrecker collapsed on the surgical pod's bed with his hand pressing against his right temple, wincing in pain. After Echo finished recalibrating the med bay, Tech prepared to scan Wrecker with his new device. Meanwhile, Hunter, Omega, and Rex organized everyone's gear against the wall. I leaned against the opposite wall and slid down until I hit the floor, hugging my knees and taking a few deep breaths.

Everything is happening so fast... I can't seem to keep up. I chuckled into the crook of my arm. As my eyes wandered, I still couldn't believe all I had been through with Clone Force 99 up to this point. Or the fact I was with them period. I silently observed how Echo and Tech took care of Wrecker, how they were wasting no time, not even willing to take a moment to breath themselves, as if it was a race against time.

My gaze veered over to Hunter and Omega across the darkened room. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but whatever the young girl muttered, her words penetrated the sergeant... And my chest tightened when I saw the way he looked up at her, how he reached out and touched her shoulder and his dark eyes overflowed with...promise. My mind began to race about Omega, and how my attitude towards her has changed since we left Saleucami... Back then, I wanted to get as far away as possible from her and the boys... so what did keep me with them?

What changed my mind from leaving on my own? I would've been completely fine by myself in this new galaxy. So was it? Was it Hunter? Was it Omega? All these questions swam through my head until I suddenly noticed Wrecker becoming...agitated...

Echo had powered up the surgical pod as Tech prepared a syringe. Feeling a tight pull in my gut, I slowly brought myself to my feet and approached the other side of the pod where I stared into Wrecker's broad shoulder blades, my arms hugging my chest. Nothing in particular was going through my mind; my pupils dilated at the bright blue hue to my left. I could hear the muscular clone's grunting and groaning. Echo, Rex, and Hunter conversed to my right. Omega was nearby.

And then...

"Wrecker!" I screamed, viscerally vaulting over the pod bed and heaving my entire body weight onto his right arm, which was connected to the hand that squeezed Tech's neck... 

"W-wrecker..." Tech gasped.

"Wrecker! Let go! No!" I panicked when the muscular clone menacingly rose to his feet. I found myself hanging from the arm I clasped onto desperately; my feet kicked wildly and freely. Using my core strength, I wrenched my body downward in attempt to make him dropped Tech. My grunts were drowned out by Wrecker's bellowing, deep voice.

"You're in direct violation of Order 66." He wrenched his left arm back and thrusted it forward. My hands lost their grip, and both Tech and I were slammed into the metal wall. My head throbbed heavily upon impact. My vision instantly blurred. My throat groaned as I forced myself to roll over onto my hands and knees. I could hear the muffled fire of blasters, which soon cleared up. Quicker than expected, I got my senses back online, but my head...

From my peripheral vision, I noticed Wrecker chasing the others out of the med bay. Omega appeared next to me. "Fern! Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, Half-Pint." I managed a smile. "A bit shaken, but not stirred." I crawled over to Tech, who was knocked unconscious. Looming over him, I cupped one side of his lean jawline, my fingers tapping it softly. "Come on, Buddy, wake up. If you wake up in the next three seconds, I'll never call you Wired Brain or Tick again. Promise. Agh..."

An abrupt piercing screeched in my ears, forcing my eyes to squeeze shut in pain. "No..." I began to pant, and I realized what was happening... 

"Omega, get away." I grunted, falling back on my legs. Both my hands shot to the sides of my temples.

"No, I can't leave you." Omega objected.

"Omega," With one last willful effort, I shoved her back, and her body tumbled away from me. "RUN!!!" I screamed.

"Fern..." she whimpered, but obeyed.

The high-pitch ringing grew, and I started hearing words... a single order and a phrase...

And then...

Good soldiers...follow orders.