𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐑

Start from the beginning

Our mind of course went to Scratch. He hasn't made a move since the whole thing with Tara's brother.

"This has got to be Scratch. He was laying low. Now we know why." Tara said over the phone.

"Crossing the border as a fugitive is a huge risk." Luke let out. It's Scratch. It has to be. He'll do anything to make our lives a living hell.

"The reward is greater. He's been punishing the team. Now his target is Reid." Emily replied.

"Peter Lewis dropped off the map after attacking Tara's family. Maybe he's been hiding in Mexico this whole time." Stephen said.

Then there was the other obvious idea. "We also have to consider this isn't related to him." I let out.

"Who else would it be?" Rossi asked. I don't know. I haven't gotten that far but we can't just assume it's Scratch every time. Sometimes I don't know if it's easier to say it is Scratch or not.

"Drug cartels. Could have threatened Reid and used him as a mule." Luke suggested.

"Agreed. This could simply be a case of bad luck. Reid was in the wrong place at the wrong time." Rossi said.

"Spence's mom is okay. The home nurse he hired said all is stable." JJ said. Thank god.

"How long did he tell the nurse he'd be gone?" Luke asked.

"Uh, three days."

"That sounds reasonable. After the Palm Springs case, Reid said he had to get back to Houston to talk to his mom's doctor." Emily said and I nodded.

"Well, Houston is only a 5 hour drive from the border." Tara said.

"Usually I can read him. I can't believe I didn't pick up on any of this." JJ muttered.

"He didn't want you to, and there's no way you would have guessed he'd end up in Mexico." Stephen said. That's what's stumping me. Mexico. Of all places.

"The question is, why did he go down there?" Tara asked.

"And why does he have narcotics?" Rossi asked. Nothing made sense. I feel like I woke up in another world.

"Yeah, exactly. That- he wouldn't do that. I'm not gonna share any secrets I'm not supposed to, but those drugs were planted on him." Penelope said. I nodded. I know there is absolutely no way he'd do anything with drugs.

"Absolutely, but there's something bigger in play. That's why he crossed the border and kept it a secret. There's something he didn't want to share with any of you." Stephen said. Yeah, but what?

"Okay, so what would make him risk everything?" I asked.

"His mom." JJ replied. I know that but what does she need that's in Mexico.

"Yeah, but she's here and safe." Penelope paused. "Cruz just sent me the arresting report. It says here that Reid was involved in a high-speed chase."

Now I'm even more confused.

"What? He hardly ever drives." I exclaimed.

"None of this sounds like him. It says he was wearing jeans, he was really confused- and according to the arresting officer, he was really high on something." Penelope said. This is a set up.

"No, no, he wouldn't do that. Not after what happened with Tobias Hankel." JJ said.

"Who's that?" Luke asked.