Twenty-eight

The second I put my hand in George's hand, I felt my whole word stop.

But in a good way

He looked at me, smiling widely as he studied my features.

I wanted to just wrap my arms around his waist and kiss him this instant, but we had to wait for minister Shacklebolt to say the words.

I felt George brush his thumb over my hand as he looked at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a whisper, and I nodded, offering a reassuring smile.

"Are you ready to start?" Shacklebolt asked and George looked at me for an answer.

I smiled, nodding.

"We are."

Shacklebolt nodded before he started speaking, starting the ceremony.

"Welcome! Good afternoon, friends and loved ones. We have come here today to celebrate the wedding of George and Dahlia. On behalf of the bride and the groom, thank you for participating today. By your presence, you celebrate with them the love they have discovered in each other, and you support their decision to commit themselves to a lifelong relationship. Marriage is a bond to be entered into only after considerable thought and reflection. By making this commitment today, George and Dahlia's relationship will become stronger, better and deeper. Today, George and Dahlia demonstrate their devotion to each other by dedicating themselves to a life together and they show their respect to each other. By setting forth to honour the vows they have created today, their lives, which began on separate paths, will be joined as one."

I looked down at George's hand holding mine, smiling at the way he was still brushing his thumb over my hand, and then I looked up at him again as Shacklebolt continued.

"Today represents not only the joining of George and Dahlia, but also the joining of their families and friends. George and Dahlia would like to recognise their friends on this occasion. They offer their profound gratitude for all the love and care their friends has showed towards them while waiting for today."

George laced his fingers with mine, wiggling his eyebrows at me and I tried my best to not chuckle.

"Deep abiding affection, the magical and compelling shared impulse that makes us seek each other's company, is among the greatest gifts of the human experience. Any of us who has been fortunate enough to find and express the kind of loving devotion that we are celebrating here today knows that it is an awesome and beautiful thing."

George's eyes were still a little red from crying as I walked down the aisle.

"At this time, I would like to share three suggestions with the both of you. My first suggestion is this; be constantly grateful for this precious person who has chosen to make a life with you. My second suggestion is this; be generous with compliments. Be attentive and helpful. The world can be a tough place... and any of us can be subject to rough handling. Each of you can, by your tenderness toward each other, kind words and thoughtful actions, make your marriage and your home an uplifting refuge. Last, but perhaps most importantly; Make truth the unfailing bedrock of your lives together. A happy, loving marriage is built on trust and respect. That trust and respect can only be sustained if you are both deeply committed to always being open and truthful in every exchange no matter how small. My hope for you is this; That you have many long years to delight in each other's company, to feel gratitude for your great fortune in having found each other. To make a home together that is at once sheltering and welcoming, to each to meaningful, productive work at home and in the world and to love and be loved by the friends and family who have come here today to support you."