Four

The dress-fitting went well.

It still fit on me like a glove. Inez agreed with me. If Dove had been there, she would have cried.

This time, I was the one who cried.

Fred was playing a very violent game on my phone but Roxanne was watching, being very excited about seeing me in the dress.

Afterwards we all had lunch together before Inez escorted them back to the house to watch them while I went to get Elsie and Leah after their weekend with their dad.

I walked up the path to the house and knocked on the door. I ran both of my hands through my hair to push it away from my face.

The door swung open, revealing Malcolm who looked rather happy with marker all over his face.

"Do I want to know what happened?" I asked, stepping inside with a small chuckle.

Malcolm closed the door behind me and scratched his neck before he crouched down to look in the mirror above the dresser in the foyer.

"I woke up to Leah drawing all over my face." He said. "And I do not know how to get it off."

"Have you tried rubbing alcohol?"

"I've tried rubbing alcohol."

I scoffed.

"You won't get marker off your face by rubbing regular alcohol all over it." I said. "And why do you even own that stuff? You're a recovering alcoholic."

I pushed off my shoes before leading the way into the kitchen, making my way to the cupboards and where I knew the first-aid kit was stored.

"I like to look at it." Malcolm said while I opened the cupboard, then the first-aid box. I found the rubbing alcohol and handed it to him.

"You think that's healthy?" I asked. "Staring at the alcohol because you like looking at it? What happens when you get the urge to drink?"

Malcolm shrugged.

"I punch myself in the balls."

Once again I scoffed.

"What balls?" I tilted my head, and Malcolm snickered at my joke before finding some paper towels, putting rubbing alcohol on it to wipe the marker off his face. "Where are the girls? Upstairs?"

Malcolm nodded and I decided to leave the kitchen and make my way upstairs.

The room closest to the stairs was Elsie's. Her door was closed but Leah's who was further down, was open, so I decided to walk down there and see her first.

She laid on the stomach on the floor, drawing on a piece of paper in front of her with many coloured pencils spread out next to her.

"What are you drawing?" I asked, causing her head to snap up and she let out a gasp before she got to her feet and ran straight into my arms, full of excitement.

"Hi, mummy!"

"Hi, beautiful." I responded, running my hand through her hair as I hugged her. "Did you have a nice weekend?"

Leah tilted her head back to look up at me, smiling from ear to ear.

"We went to the zoo! I got to see the llamas and Elsie threatened to throw me into the tiger's cage!"

My eyes widened.

"Oh did she now?"

I heard a door open and I looked back to see Elsie approach.