The cameras placed in his room after he got rid of the FBI agents and Naomi Misora, revealed to him how much the police trusted L and the lengths L was willing to go to bring Kira to justice. So, he decided to trick L by using that potato chip bag and the mini-TV to prevent L from learning that he was Kira.

He then remembered L's most daring stunt in their cat and mouse game: revealing himself to Light. When that invigilator went to reprimand L, Light turned his head to see which student he was scolding as any normal person would do. The moment their eyes met each other, he felt something from him. He then shifted to that exact moment when L sat next to him in the opening ceremony and told Light who he actually was. To say that he was shocked was an understatement. He was gob smacked. L had literally just gone right up to him and said, 'I'm L'!

Never did he imagine that L would pull such a daredevil act! He was furious, because L managed to outsmart him, amazed and honored because L actually came out of the shadows to confront him in person and insulted because by revealing himself to Light, he made sure that Light won't be able to kill him without casting suspicion on himself.

Then that heated tennis match they had, made its way into his mind. There was a crowd of university students and teachers watching them, but it felt as if it was just the two of them, playing on a lonely tennis court, with Light trying to figure out L's motive for suggesting the match in the first place. Light had never played tennis so seriously before, even in the national championships he had participated in. After playing, they went to a coffee shop to talk. It was on the way to the coffee shop that L revealed that he indeed suspected Light to be Kira but that it was only about a 1% possibility. He laughed it off but the way L's cold black eyes looked at him while he spoke, mesmerized him and sent a pleasant shiver down his spine. He was jolted back to reality by L beating him again by saying that once he was sure that Light was not Kira and - since he has good reasoning abilities - he would like Light to work with him on the Kira case. This made it impossible for Light to ask a taskforce member to verify that the man he was talking to right then was indeed L. Light felt highly annoyed but a little awed that L had managed to beat him yet again.

The coffee shop was where L tried to get Light to admit that he was Kira for the first time. When he successfully dodged L's attempt to reveal himself, L praised his reasoning abilities, leaving him feeling all warm and flustered inside. That was also where he discovered the reason for L's weird sitting position: sitting normally apparently reduces his reasoning skills by 40%. For some reason, he didn't think of L as a weirdo for sitting like that. He felt that while L might be a master manipulator and liar, he is more genuine than anyone he has met. L's response to his demand for proof of L's identity, made him feel anxious and scared, wondering what he was thinking. He noticed those usually unreadable black eyes filled with admiration as L gazed at him, alarming him even more and making him feel flushed at the same time.

Then his father got a heart attack, resulting in them rushing to the hospital. He had expected his father to talk to him privately but instead he talked to Light in L's presence, showcasing the man's degree of trust in the celebrated detective. His father mentioned that if it was a normal person who got these 'killing' powers, then that person was unlucky. L agreed while Light himself stayed silent. As L went away in his car, Light told Ryuk that he had never felt unlucky since finding the Death Note, on the contrary, he felt very lucky. This was a lie. After his father and L put that idea in his head, he felt uneasy; he had indeed killed people who were not criminals simply because they were pursuing him: Naomi Misora, Raye Penber and the other FBI agents; when he wanted to kill only criminals to create his ideal world. He put aside that unsettling feeling and resumed being Kira.