Chapter 4

Marta hated everything. She hated the bland colors of the room. She hated Dr Peterson's attitude. She hated the sight of all the blood. She hated the feathers. She hated that her friend had to die so tragically.

Amongst all the hate brewing beneath her, the touch of Benoit Blanc's hand on hers brought her down from madness. She felt even calm at some points, bold enough to ask questions about the injuries. All she wanted to do was jump to her feet and cover the corpse, as though fabric could hide the disturbing truth. But Benoit helped her feel calm. They hadn't known each other for very long, but his sweet nature helped Marta face the deceased body of her friend.

The autopsy continued on, the students making comments and Dr Peterson agreeing or disagreeing as he seemed fit. Marta didn't particularly like him, but she didn't want to make judgements. Thankfully, it drew to an end. Marta and Benoit joined Wagner and Elliott at the station to answer questions and discuss theories. Benoit had easily accepted her as a part of his team, asking her opinion and giving her the strength to continue.

By midday, everything was done and Marta was free to leave. She didn't want to leave alone. Not only with the threat of someone lurking in two areas that she'd frequented looming over her head, she also didn't want to leave Benoit's company. He kept her feeling safe from it all, secure in the knowledge he could fight them. He's all broad shoulders and rippling muscles that could defeat just about any man - though Marta blushed at the mere thought of Benoit Blanc's muscles.

"Why gentlemen, we've made a fine discovery with this body. I imagine that feather evidence with help us catch this killer in no time," Blanc offered his hand to Elliott and Wagner in a parting gesture.

Elliott was tired. Marta wondered if he regretted this field of work. He responded, "Yes, I've got a few more people to question, but we should reconvene soon. Should you come up with any more theories."

"Who've you got back there?"

"A few neighbors and family, one's 'cross the street's a teacher, the left's an orthodontist- "

Wagner interrupted, "no the right is the orthodontist - they do teeth stuff. Left's an ornithologist, they study birds."

Elliott sighed at Wagner but corrected himself as he listed off the other people they had to question. Marta tried to recount them all : the orthodontist, the ornithologist, the teacher, her sons, her husband, the real estate agent and a partridge in a pear tree. Overall she was thankful that she did not invest the time into becoming a detective. This much work would stress her out. However, it seemed she to be taking on the task, if only partly, to Benoit Blanc. She couldn't find the energy or desire to complain.

"Well, I'm goin' to walk Miss Cabrera home. You gentlemen have a good day, ring me if you've an update."

With a hand gently on the small of her back, Benoit urged Marta from the detectives. Somehow he seemed to know all this talk was overwhelming her. Maybe he was that good or she wasn't all hard to read.

They walked in silence for quite a bit, just the crunching of the snow under their shoes. Benoit didn't pity her, he didn't make her feel like an overly emotional child. Marta was glad to not be talking. She couldn't lie but she couldn't hold back the tears should she speak. It felt like one tragedy over another.

They waited at a stop for a car to pass, and Marta glanced at Benoit Blanc. He wasn't the most conventionally attractive man, and he was definitely older than her, but Marta didn't care. His blonde hair embedded with grey was charming to her, and she loved that it got slightly messed up when he got passionate earlier. He stood tall and broad, with shoulders to match his muscular arms. Not too much, but enough that Marta knew he could hold his own in a fight. And boy! Did he know how to dress! Marta never knew she fancied suspenders until she saw them on this man.