22. A traitor in the ranks

-What a night to raid a forge, right ?

Andrew's allies sighed. Ah, how they hated this man. But yet, they were here, late at night, ready to charge at his command.

-I don't think there's such a thing as a nice night to murder people.

-I mean we could be covered in blood and rain ! Now it's just blood.

-Great.

Camalia was slightly feeling ill. Her eyes glimmered a bit at the mention of murder. She hated talking about hurting people, and killing them was the worst kind of pain to give.
But she couldn't show it.
Suck it up, push it down, and forget about it forever. A very healthy coping mechanism.

-So are we going to stand around all day or are we going in ?

-In a second Juniper, be patient.

The warrior groaned.

-I've been patient for the last 15 minutes ! I don't understand what we're doing right now.

Suddenly Andrew tensed up and hold up his hand, effectively shutting everyone up.
He waited a few seconds, then signaled everyone to move.
They slowly made their way to the door, making sure to be invisible from the few windows in the building.

Kai was first and once everyone was ready, he burst the door open, shards of wood being splattered everywhere.

They all ran in, weapons ready, prepared to fight and maybe kill... no one. The forge was completely empty.
Well, completely would be an exageration. There was blacksmith's tools laying around.
They all turned to Andrew, back to them, wondering what to do next.
He brutally threw his weapon on the ground and turned to them, furious.
Despite his frantic gestures and terrifying expression, his voice was calm and low.

-There is no way they could have known. We have a mole.

Everyone tensed, and Juniper stepped forward, carefully.

-Wait, Andrew. Don't jump to conclusion, maybe the informations we got were wrong or-

The beautiful yet bloodcurdling man violently slammed his fist on a nearby table, effectively shutting her up, and making his allies jump a little.

-No. I know what I am saying, Juniper. Don't... contradict me.

He raised his fist a little, and all could see the mark his hand left on the wood. His gaze slowly analyzed his crew, judging their sweat, the trembling of their legs, any sign that could make him understand which one betrayed him.
However, he didn't seem to find what he was looking for, and in a fit of rage, threw all the content of the table on the ground, making it fly everywhere.
He left the forge fuming, enraged, feeling worse by the second.

It took a while for everyone in the forge to regain their composure, before following him silently, suspicious of everyone.
No words were exchanged. They got back to the castle, went into their separate rooms and hopped to bed.
No comments about the situation, no accusations, nothing.

Camalia was terrified. She knew this mission would be the one to compromise her the most, but she didn't expect such a strong reaction. She didn't regret anything, and would do it again, but she was afraid.
What if someone saw her room empty ?
What if someone had been onto her this whole time ?
What if that someone tell on her ?
Would she die ?
Would anyone care ?
She was so scared. So, so scared. Her guts were wrapped uncomfortably, her throat was tight and her nose tingly. She could feel her eyes burn, ready to let out tears, but she prevented it. She couldn't. What if...

In his bed, in the dark, staring at the ceiling, Varian knew. He was mortified, but he knew.
And he didn't know what to do.

The next morning, they weren't woken up before the sun for a fruitless meeting. Good, they really needed that sleep.
Especially since they all had trouble finding it. Except, of course, Clementine, that slept like a baby, right after convincing Andrew she couldn't be the spy and antagonizing the rest of the crew.

So, in the middle of the morning, they were in the kitchen, groggy and with dark circles under their eyes. The leader put his hand on the table, and all the attention turned to him.

-As you all know, we have a mole.

Juniper let out a groan, flopping on her chair.

-Andrew, PLEASE. There could be thousands of other ways they could have known. Or maybe they didn't and simply change location every so often.

The fabulous man slowly closed his eyes, his shaking breath slowly coming out of his mouth. Clearly containing his anger, Andrew spoke slowly, devoid of all emotions, and flat as can be.

-I am sure. Juniper. That we have. A. Mole. I don't have to explain myself to you.

Juniper rolled her eyes, clearly thinking he should, but said nothing. Starting a fight with with egocentric man would lead nowhere, and it would be more productive to simply search for the traitor, and once they don't find anyone, he'll admit he's wrong.
He looked at her dead in the eyes, expecting a comeback, but once he was sure nothing would ensue, resumed his speech.

-That mole is dangerous. They probably already warned the rebellion of our plan, and is keeping tabs of our every move. Soon enough, they'll gather enough information to lead the rebellion in an attack against us. An attack that, with enough informations, they are sure to win. To avoid that from happening, we need to find that traitor. Right here. Right now.

Gazes were exchanged. Curious, suspicious, uninterested, worried... That meeting was going to split the group. Inevitably, hurtful things will be said, accusations thrown, and trust will break as soon as one start to speak.
So, no one was saying anything.
What a great way to prevent things, avoiding them altogether.

Annoyed that things weren't moving along, Clementine threw the first accusation.

-I have come to notice that both Maisie and Kai haven't been very present in the castle.

The two men immediatly stiffen, shocked.

-Excuse me, counter-attacked Maisie, but we have not seen much of you either. We simply do not cross path in this gigantic palace, is it really that suspicious ? Juniper can testify that we are very much present in the castle, to use your words.

-Yes, what he's saying is true. I often barge into their room unannounced and they're always there or working on something in the castle. I always find them relatively quickly.

Clementine gritted her teeth.

-Oh, what a convenient excuse for you Juniper. And who can "testify" of your whereabouts between those times then ?

Juniper's retribution was nothing but a muffled sound for Varian.
He didn't need to think very long, throw random insults, or any of this to know who was the traitor. Well, to have a good idea of who it might be.
But what if he was wrong ?
What if it wasn't her ?
He had to make sure. He had to know.

But how ?
His throat was tight, his body was sweating, his mind was foggy. It should be easy. Ask her, just ask the question.
In the middle of the commotion, of the screams and the shocked gasps. They were the only one still seated on their chair, Varian staring at her in hesitation and dread. What if he is right then, mh ? What would he do ? Was this really another betrayal ? How come it didn't feel like it at all.
No. No, no, no. Don't... overthink before knowing the truth.
Come on.
Just open your mouth, and...

-Camalia...

It was soft, hesitant, almost whispered. Yet it catched her attention immediatly. She looked up from the ground she had been staring it, her eyes wide in fear. Droplets were running down her face, crashing down on the chair, beside her hands tightly gripped to the wood.

-Are you...

He stopped, once again doubting, questionning whether he actually wanted to know or not. But her expression had brutally calmed down, and she seemed determined...no. She seemed accepting.

-Are you the traitor, Camalia ?

-Yes.

Glass shattered, and they turn their head to the noise only to see all the Saporians staring at them. Juniper, Maisie and Kai seemed horrified, while Clementine had a wicked smile and Andrew's face fell as dark as ever.
Camalia felt the oh so familiar tingle of fear travel through her back, but she didn't mind. She closed her eyes, and with a faint smile, waited for her sentence.