40. Cracked in love

Start from the beginning

"Hit my head with a hammer and only then, I will." Ariana withdrew her hands. "Nevertheless, I thank you for you concern."

Duchess Lily cleared her throat awkwardly before motioning the maid to leave. "Here. You weren't able to eat anything before." She handed Ariana a cup of tea.

Ariana thanked her again before accepting the cup.

After few sips, Duchess Lily started the conversation once again. "The Kingdom needs a Lancaster heir." 

She glanced at Ariana, who nodded in agreement while taking a huge bite of pie and chewing loudly. 

Duchess continued. "It is the duty of the Alpha King and his mate to provide the heir of course."

Ariana didn't fail to catch the suggestive tone in her words. She decided to play innocent. "But the King divorced his publicly claimed mate."

"It was an annulment. Meaning it is considered never to have existed." Duchess corrected quickly.

"I know that you and the King do not find me worthy but I didn't know you think so low of me to think that I don't even know the meaning of annulment." Ariana faked a sad look on her face making the Duchess feel guilty. 

"Neither I nor Xavier intended to make you feel that way, Ariana. I apologize."

"Anyway, what now Duchess? What will His Majesty do to ensure this bloodline?" asked Ariana.

"You tell us." Duchess Lily looked at her expectantly.

"If you ask me" Ariana started, "I suggest that a young healthy widow she-wolf be found, who is willing to breed with His Majesty."

Duchess Lily looked at her in absolute shock.

"His Majesty can't go around breeding another wolf's mate, can he? So, a widow would be the best candidate."

When Duchess Lily didn't reply for a while, Ariana got bored. She quickly finished the remaining tea and pie and got up.

 "Since Persephone pointed out my human-made clothes and His Majesty didn't defend me, I interpret his lack of support as his agreement with Persephone. Hence, I have clothes to buy. I take your leave."

"There is no need for you to go anywhere, Ariana. Just say the word and Xavier will make sure you get every dress, every jewelry that you desire at the snap of your finger."

"Really? Every jewelry? What about the crown?"

"Crown of the Queen consort? Yes, of course." Duchess Lily replied proudly.

"No." Ariana answered sharply. "Crown of the Monarch. Can he? No, right?"

She bowed and left for the market leaving a speechless Duchess. On the way, Nathaniel joined her. By the looks of it, his mood hadn't changed for better. He was still agitated from inside. As soon as he saw Ariana, he approached her and started rambling.

"How could the Moon Goddess give me a narcissist and a delusional person as my mate?"

Ariana chuckled. "Maybe that's why both the delusional freaks chose each other leaving us sane people."

As they were about to exit the main gate, few guards started following them.

"Wait." Nathaniel turned around to face the guards. "What are you doing?" He narrowed his eyes at them.

"Following orders of the King. My apologies." One of them answered.

"Go inform your King that I don't need his protection." said Nathaniel.