Illfang the Kobold Lord

Start from the beginning

Part of Kirito wants to personally see their growth, but he lost that right the day he decided to be a self-interested solo player. But maybe Jaymes will be able to. Koharu and Asuna get along so well it would be amazing if Koharu didn't try to keep Asuna in their party. The other boy is rough around the edges, but Kirito believes he doesn't just care for Koharu's safety. Unlike Kirito, Jaymes chose the path of protector.

"Yer plan backfired, eh? Serves ya right."

Kirito turns to the leader of Team E, Kibaou. Only one sentinel remained, so the backup team could have a conversation, but it seems he wants Kirito. "What?"

"Drop the lame act. I already know exactly why y'all slipped yer way into this boss fight."

"Why? You mean...to defeat the boss? What other reason could there be?"

"Oh, so you're gonna deny it? you know what you're after. You think I don't know? I've heard all about yer style...how you've always used dirty tricks to steal the LA on all the bosses!"

Last Attack. There's indeed a bonus for the player getting the last attack on a boss, and yeah, Kirito had a habit of leaving enough health to utilize his strongest kill for the LA. Yet he's back here, dealing with Kobold Sentinels, reaping in the material, Col, and EXP they drop. Col is divided between the raid party, EXP between him, Koharu, Jaymes, and Asuna for combating as a party, and the killer gets the items. That applies to the main boss as well, so Kirito understands why Kibaou is coming at him for it, but...Kibaou shouldn't know that.

The raging swordsman already suspects Kirito of being a beta player, but there's no way he should have "heard" how Kirito was in the beta. Only three people, maybe more here, know Kirito from the beta, but Jaymes, Koharu, Argo, and the others wouldn't speak of that time. Not to Kibaou, at least.

Argo... Kibaou tried to buy Kirito's sword for nearly forty thousand Col, enough to buy and fully upgrade the same sword with Col left over. Heck, Jaymes' sword is the strongest (at base stats) on the floor, and spending that Col might leave Kibaou with a 4 or 5 weapon. In either case, he'd had a significantly stronger weapon with forty thousand Col...unless he did not have that money to his name. He wouldn't dare shortchange the Rat...so that leaves it to the assumption Kibaou is not the buyer, but a proxy to the buyer. The buyer knows Kirito from the beta, enough to tell Kibaou about his LA strategy, to rob him of the attack power the 6 Anneal Blade provides, and the chance to make that same move.

"Kibaou, whoever told you that story, how did they gain that information about the beta test?"

"Ain't it obvious? They put up a grip of cash to buy the info from the Rat. All so's they could sniff out the hyenas among the raid party." Kirito knows that's a lie, Argo wouldn't betray player beta info. He knows that even without considering Argo's integrity, else Kibaou would be more concerned about the stronger blade in Kirito's group. The fact Kibaou doesn't know Jaymes and Koharu are beta players proves Argo was not bought out.

"Kibaou," Jaymes says, approaching and stepping between Kibaou and Kirito. "If you got something to say to my party members, you speak to me first. Now get your horny-headed ass away back to your team, the final phase is up." Jaymes speaks that command on cue as Illfang gives a ferocious roar. At the same time, the final trio of Kobold Sentinels enters the room.

Kibaou frowns and backs off, scornfully glaring at Kirito. "Go ahead, take one o' them lil' kobolds. Get your LA in." Kibaou returns to his group, and the boys rejoin the girls.