Chapter 48 Old friends

Start from the beginning

He parks and gets out of the car.

Sam remains seated and feels an unbearable heaviness on his heart.

He holds his cell phone, still turned off, and stares into space.

Manfred opens his passenger door and holds his hand out to him.

"Turn your phone on now and let me do the rest," Dieckmann says.

Sam turns on his cell phone and waits for the operating system to boot up.

53 missed calls and one message.

From YU.

Tears spring to Sam's eyes.

Unconsciously, he opens the message and sees a photo.

Of the empty swing next to YU.

Just the empty swing on the big playground at Lietzensee.

The flash lights up the sand in the background.

Sam's heart tightens.

His lungs tighten.

His stomach clenches.

Sam can't breathe because of the pain.

With longing.

Dieckmann feels it.

He wishes he could take the pain away from him.

But the pain would return.

Again and again.

Poison him little by little and only Sam's shadow would remember him.

He must be strong now.

To be free, he must be strong.

"He's at my house. He's sitting on the swing that can be seen from my terrace. Manfred, he's waiting for me," Sam says brokenly.

"Sam, I'll go to him in a minute. Now get out of the car. Trust me," Dieckmann says.

"Please remember what I told you. In the drawer next to my bed is my voice recorder. There's a recording on it for YU. Please don't forget to give him the Dictaphone," Sam asks, getting out.

"Don't worry, this voice recorder is such a mystery to me. I couldn't forget it even if I wanted to," Dieckmann jokes, taking the phone from Sam's hand, "Send me your number as soon as you get a new phone."

They walk into the concourse of the airport and head to the gate to Sylt.

"Sam, you've been through so much in this short time with YU that your psyche needs this time off. Surrender to your mind. Let yourself drift in the depths of your genius. Maybe you'll write a new paper. On free love and the psychological bonds that take away our freedom," Dieckmann suggests, taking Sam in his arms, "Take care of yourself, Sam. I'll take care of your love here."

Sam squeezes his German father tightly.

"Thank you. Thank you for everything.", Sam says and says goodbye.

Professor Dieckmann watches Sam check in and disappear behind the window.

He is convinced that his sister will take good care of him. She was always the only one who accepted her eldest brother's serious thoughts. She always gave him his space. Did not push. Did not demand openness. She is discreet. That's exactly what Sam needs right now. Time for himself.

And as Dieckmann walks back to his Audi, lost in thought, he sees his friend Bernhard leaning against it.

He just stands by his car and waits.