Chapter One: Unanswered Questions

Dipper's POV

"He's coming, he's coming! Now, now, now, now!" I ordered Wendy and Soos to turn on the water. The shapeshifter was coming around the bend, very irritated. We were running out of time, but the water wouldn't flow. The pipes had been unused for 30 odd years, I shouldn't have expected them to revive so quickly.

The shapeshifter stood before us, and used it's tongue to grab hold of my journal. "Give it back!" I tugged on the journal as hard as I could, but I wasn't necessarily known for my strength.

Just then, Wendy leaped in front of me and grabbed the journal. "You leave him alone" she screamed. Wendy pulls out her axe from her jean pocket. Aiming for the monsters tongue, she begins to swing her arms. Of course now the pipes decide to work. The water suddenly gushes out of the pipes and we all go under.

I loose sight of Wendy in the chaos. Once the water drains into the other abandon tunnels, I stand up and try to regain my sight. As soon as I am able to walk again, I start to search frantically for Wendy. I pick up her axe along the way, and carry it with me.
"Wendy!" I call. No answer except for the echo of my own voice. "Wendy!" I call again. I run to the edge of a small drop off leading to another tunnel. Fog surrounds the ground, but I see a familiar shape in the mist.

"Wendy?" I ask, dropping the axe as I leap off of the edge. I run towards her and kneel down at her motionless body.
I feel tears rushing to my eyes as I blame myself for today's tragedy.

"Oh no, oh no" I whisper "this is all my fault. If I'd've told you in the closet, we wouldn't be in the mess. But I was too scared and now you could be hurt or worse and I never even go the chance to tell you. I'm like" I sob trying to find the words. "I'm like, in love with you Wendy" I blurt out.

Now my tears are no longer able to be held back. They stream down my face as I try and think how, or why this happened to me. It's like the universe is always against me, especially when I find some joy in my life.

I realize that I'm not alone soon after confessing my feelings to a motionless Wendy. That's when I hear a familiar voice behind me. "Dipper?" It asks. Wait, this is no it. It's Wendy. But not coming from the Wendy in front of me. I turn around and see my red headed crush standing awkwardly before me, my journal in her hand.

"W-Wendy?" I stammer "Wait than who's..." I point towards what use to be the motionless Wendy, but now is filled with life. She leaps towards the other Wendy and I realize it's the shape shifter.

"Look out!" I warn.

After that, the cave is filled with the echoes of two Wendy's punching and kicking each other.
"Give it back" one says
"No, this journal belongs to Dipper" the other says.
I run and reclaim the axe from the cold ground.
"Hit her with the axe" one Wendy says
"Don't listen to her, Dipper!" The other warns me
"She's the shape shifter" the first one debates.

I look frantically between the two, unable to tell who's the real Wendy.

"I-I don't know who's who! Give me a sign or something!" I plead

One of them does a simple but flirty wink. It's adorable, but not enough to convince me.

The other one zips her lips, throws the key away and waves; a sign only the real Wendy would know.

I instantly swing my axe towards the Wendy who winked, feeling bad about hitting such a beautiful girl. I still know it's the right thing to do.

She crouches in agony, and let's out shriek of pure pain. The real Wendy and I gang up on the shapeshifter, who has returned to his normal, ugly shape.