Chapter 46 Turning Point

Start from the beginning

"Sam, I can't wait another week. I almost just didn't go to the exam. I'd rather be with you," Nadine declares, her eyes googly with effort.

She presses her thin lips together in a shy smile.

Her posture is very obvious to an outsider. With her upper body slightly bent forward, she seeks Sam's proximity.

Sam stands rigidly, trying to brush her off.

"Nadine, we have two years to do research. Your exam comes first. You need to study and move on," he says matter-of-factly.

"But Sam, I don't know. I mean. I've really only been able to think about you for the last week. I can't take another week like that," she confesses, putting her hands on her flushed cheeks.

Sam feels a stormy restlessness rising inside him. He really doesn't need this right now. He tries hard not to show his rising anger and to handle the situation confidently.

"The last analysis meeting after our first session upset you. You are transferring repressed drive desires onto me. This is exactly the topic of my research. We'll talk about it next week," he says, deciding wrong.

He gently puts his hand on her shoulder.

A gesture to strengthen her.

A gesture of farewell.

A gesture that makes YU boil over now standing behind Sam.

A gesture that makes Nadine's flush boil.

And through this brief gesture, everything turns.

Nadine reaches for Sam's hand with both hands. She clasps it pleadingly and everything gushes out of her. Unthinkingly and with infantile speed she pours oil on the fire.

"Sam, I only want you. I can't wait anymore. Please make time for me today. Let's have dinner together, shall we? I'll take the day off. You can do anything with me. Yes? I know you're not committed. Give me a chance. I can make you happy. Yes? Come on. Go out with me!" pleads Nadine, pulling on Sam's captured hand.

Sam tries to win his hand back.

"Nadine, please don't do that," he says seriously and is startled by YU's sudden appearance.

He looks at him with widened eyes and feels the fear caused by YU's scowl.

Now he pulls his hand out of Nadine's and puts it on YU's shoulder.

"Nadine, this is completely inappropriate. And the answer is no. I'll see you next week," Sam says gruffly, letting his hand trail down YU's arm and clasping YU's freezing hand with his.

He wants to get out of here.

He wants to get out of here with YU.

And drags him behind him to his practice.

But YU shakes Sam's hand away.

"I'm too early. You can go ahead and finish what you're doing.", YU's cold voice rings out, making Sam's insides shiver.

He turns around and sees YU striding away with a quick step.

"Sam, I still have some time. You owe me that time. He's right. Our session isn't over yet," Nadine demands, grabbing Sam's arm.

Sam is stunned by the situation.

He sees YU running away and feels Nadine press him.

His mind makes a clear decision.

With an unambiguous gesture, he pulls free from Nadine's hands and shouts loudly:

"YU, wait. YU!", turning to Nadine and replying curtly, "Nadine, you go now. This is totally inappropriate. Don't touch me!"