Chapter Four:

"Do you have the list?" Mum frantically asked dad. Mornings often started like this at our house. It was mad, but it was home.

"No, I thought you had it." He replied. There was a bang from the kitchen as what seemed to be a pot hit the ground.

Unfortunately that was not the answer mum was looking for. Mum ran her hands through her hair exasperatedly.

I, of course, enjoyed their frustration way to much to tell them that I had kept it in my room. My conscience got the best of me though, because after five minutes of their continued search through the sitting room and the kitchen I decided to put them out of their misery. I pulled the list from behind my back. "I found it." I couldn't help but smile mischievously.

"Elaine Alice Walker! Did you have that the whole time?!?!" Mum exclaimed exasperatedly. "We should.. we should punish you."

"You guys love me too much and neither of you can keep track of anything." I replied cheekily.

"Ugh. We'll deal with you later. For now, we're off to Diagon Alley." Mum decided, wearing a frown and a smile at the same time. "She's your daughter," she whispered to my father.

I smirked contentedly to myself.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Diagon Alley is very packed on all days of the week Especially when there is only a month left before the start of term. Dad had been able to get a Tuesday off of work for a reason I don't even know. I suppose what happens in the Department of Mysteries stays in the Department of Mysteries.

I read the list again for the third time, trying to memorize its contents.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNIFORM
First year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
By Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot.

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration
by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR cat OR toad

PARENTS ARE ALSO REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By mid-afternoon, we had tackled the most boring items of the list such as the cauldron, the gloves, and other potions supplies. After leaving the shop: Scribbulus Writing Instruments, a place with a plethora of quills of different makes and sizes, we finally went to Ollivanders to get my wand. Mum was more excited than me actually, which was ridiculous. Sometimes I wondered if she was vicariously using me to relive her younger days.