CHAPTER FOURTEEN . 好きっていいなよ

Start from the beginning

Scaramouche listened intently for once. He didn't butt in, didn't retort at your words; he just listened. It compelled you to continue, maybe you needed to be more open towards him.

"I'm not... who you expected me to be, right...? You probably thought of me as some stuck-up, pretentious, rich heiress. Or maybe someone who has their life sorted out, someone charismatic and charming? I can't imagine anyone liking me..." You laughed wryly, a sad smile curled at the corners of your lip as you turned your gaze downwards. "I feel useless, pathetic. I hate relying on others... but that's all I'm capable of... The gods didn't give me with a Vision or normal life so all I can do is rely on others—"

Scaramouche's hand grazed your skin again, casting shivers down your spine. Did he always have this effect on you?

"Scaramouche...?" Your voice was low, quiet as he slowly inched closer to you. His lips ghosted over your forehead, a centimeter away.

"Silence," Scaramouche's words didn't carry any malice or disdain. "Don't say anything."

He kissed you, pressing his lips swiftly against your forehead before retreating back. Electricity efflux throughout you, sparks that made butterflies flutter madly at his sudden gesture. You couldn't help but smile a bit, the smallest fragment of sentimentality.

"You really ought to know your place," he muttered quietly, swiftly planting another kiss on your temple. He shifted down, matching his forehead against your own. His hand searched for yours, grasping it tightly. Fingers intertwined with one another, lacing together.

"Don't you dare insinuate that you're worthless in any manner." He chastised you, eyebrows furrowing in annoyance. "I wouldn't have agreed to marry you if I didn't like you."

His edict soothed you, even if he was reluctant about it. Though, his words made you wonder, did you love him all the same?

You shifted closer to him, head tilting into his chest until all you could smell was the clean linen of the bed and his cologne. The scent calms your nerves, casting away all of your previous spouts of cynicism in regards to your existence.

"I hope your declaration from the other day was not in any seriousness." Solemness plagued his tone, his gaze dimmed with shadows casted by his loose bangs.

"What declaration...?" You asked, absentmindedly. You weren't really listening anymore, just too tranced by the circumstances to comprehend his words.

"Your declaration of how you wanted to call off our marriage."

Oh... right. It took you a moment to recall the events of the other day. Upon recollection, heaviness settled into your heart.

"I was disappointed in you, that's all. In the spur of the moment, I said what I said. I'm still... upset."

"I see..." He hummed his response quietly as if he was trying not to stir you.

"I just don't like the secrecy between us... I want you to be honest with me." You softly told him, eyes pressing close. "I just want this to work..."

Scaramouche sighed, prompting your eyelashes to flutter open. You looked up at him, observing his features. "I know..."

Companionable silence befell the two of you. Soft rustling sheets, shallow breaths, and quiet inhales harmonized into a mellifluous theme. Silver moonlight cascaded through the glass, the light shining onto his midnight features. His white blouse was slightly disheveled, revealing his pronounced collarbones. His skin was translucent, pale as the snowy petals laying upon Snezhnayan grounds. You felt your cheeks warm at the sight. You looked away, hiding your darkening cheeks beneath the blankets before asking him a question.